Court spares BJP leader personal appearance in Dikshit caseJuly 12th, 2012 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 12 (IANS) A Delhi court Thursday granted exemption to BJP leader Vijender Gupta from personal appearance in a defamation case filed by Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit.
Metropolitan Magistrate Saumya Chauhan granted the exemption to the Bharatiya Janata Party leader and listed the matter for hearing Aug 31.
The court issued fresh summons to Gupta June 22.
The Delhi High Court had Tuesday issued notice to Dikshit on Gupta’s plea to quash the summons issued to him by a trial court on her defamation complaint.
The trial court June 4 accepted Dikshit’s plea for issuance of summons against Gupta for defaming her prior to the April 2012 civic polls in the capital.
Gupta moved the high court challenging the trial court’s order summoning him, on the ground that the entire material presented in support of the complaint was based on hearsay.
The trial court June 22 issued fresh summons against Gupta for July 12 after he failed to appear before the court.
The complaint filed by Dikshit before the magistrate said that to gain political mileage by maligning her, the BJP leader had used “uncivilised” language against her before the civic polls.
Dikshit alleged that Gupta called her a “villain” and “vamp” and also said that she had cheated the people of Delhi.
The chief minister May 30 recorded her statement against Gupta and requested the court to summon him.
Dikshit said she had sent legal notices to Gupta after the civic polls but the BJP leader did not apologise and stood by his remarks.
- Dikshit gets court notice on BJP leader's plea - Jul 10, 2012
- Fresh summons issued to Gupta for defaming Dikshit - Jun 22, 2012
- BJP leader denied relief on Dikshit's defamation complaint - Aug 13, 2012
- Court summons BJP leader on Dikshit's plea - Jun 04, 2012
- Court grants bail to BJP leader Gupta - Aug 31, 2012
- Court reserves order on Dikshit's plea - May 31, 2012
- Dikshit records statement in court against BJP leader - May 30, 2012
- Settle defamation case, court tells Dikshit, BJP leader - Apr 24, 2012
- Court fines Sheila Dikshit Rs.3,000 - Jan 06, 2012
- Dikshit, Gupta told to settle suit amicably - May 08, 2012
- Courts rejects BJP legislator's plea in Dikshit case - Apr 19, 2012
- Settle defamation case amicably: Court urges Dikshit, BJP leader - Mar 15, 2012
- Court reserves order in case against Dikshit (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Court reserves order on Tejinder Singh's plea - Jun 06, 2012
- Court to hear plea against Dikshit March 29 - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, chief minister, civic polls, defamation case, delhi court, delhi high court, gupta, hearsay, issuance, magistrate, mileage, New Delhi, party leader, personal appearance, plea, political mileage, summons, trial court, vamp, villain