Court reserves order on MCD polls (Lead)February 17th, 2012 - 12:33 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 16 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Thursday reserved its order on petitions by a group of councillors seeking quashing of the state election commission’s decision to reserve seats for candidates of the Scheduled Castes in the Municipal Corporation of Delhi elections to be held in April.
The councillors of the Bharatiya Janata Party and the Congress moved the court challenging the earmarking of seats as reserved for the Scheduled Castes (SCs).
The division bench of Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Justice Rajiv Shakdher reserved the verdict after counsel from both the sides concluded their arguments.
The petitioners contended that the poll commission’s notification reserving the seats as “arbitrary, malafide and without any logic” as the commission had reserved seats for the SCs on the basis of the 2001 census and not the recent 2011 census.
The election commission “acted without any logic” in reserving the seats on the basis of 2001 census - reserving those seats where the SC population was only 12 percent, and making those as general seats where the SC population was more than 40 percent, they contended.
The election commission opposed the plea saying that the rationale behind the reservation was to give due representation to SC candidates.
The state election commission Jan 27, issued a notification for reserving the seats for SC candidates.
- Verdict on reservation in MCD polls Wednesday - Feb 28, 2012
- Petitions against Scheduled Caste seats in MCD polls dismissed (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Delhi poll panel gets notice on MCD elections - Feb 03, 2012
- Plea against Scheduled Caste, woman seats in MCD polls dismissed (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Petitions against reserving MCD seats for SCs dismissed - Feb 29, 2012
- UP local bodies' election will go ahead: Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Government's view sought on poor students' admission to KVs - Mar 10, 2012
- Fresh Scheduled Tribes' quota in Uttar Pradesh house suggested - Jan 10, 2012
- Half of MCD wards go to women, male politicians jittery - Jan 28, 2012
- Court notice to Kendriya Vidyalayas on admitting poor students - Feb 09, 2012
- Fresh Scheduled Tribes' quota in Uttar Pradesh house suggested (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Apex court clears decks for Uttar Pradesh panchayat polls - Sep 21, 2010
- Posts for SCs, STs lie vacant in central universities - Aug 20, 2012
- Notice to government on smoking scenes in films (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- UP local bodies' election will go ahead: Supreme Court - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, castes, census, court reserves, delhi high court, division bench, due representation, kaul, kishan, logic, malafide, municipal corporation of delhi, New Delhi, petitioners, petitions, plea, rajiv, rationale, sanjay, state election commission