Court reserves order on Mayawati’s pleaJanuary 7th, 2009 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 7 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday reserved its order on Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati’s plea challenging the central government’s decision to reassess her income in 2001 to find out if she evaded taxes.The court had Dec 18 allowed the government to go ahead with the reassessment of Mayawati’s income in 2001 including expensive gifts and also restrained the income tax department from passing any order till the next hearing.
A division bench comprising of Justice Vikarmjit Sen and Justice Rajiv Shakdher reserved the order after hearing the contention of government and Mayawati.
Appearing for Mayawati, senior counsel Harish Salve said: “We have not yet received any notice from the income tax department and without it the department cannot assess Mayawati’s income.”
Refuting Salve’s allegation, counsel for the government said the department had served the notice to Mayawati on the address given to it and had enough evidences to prove that the notice had been served.
The government also pleaded to the court that Mayawati’s petition is not maintainable and the court should dismiss it on merit.
The Uttar Pradesh chief minister contended that the income under question in 2001 - immovable properties worth Rs.6.27 million and Rs.2.30 million as well as cash payments of Rs.200,000 - were gifts to her by her supporters.
The government has also approached the high court challenging the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal’s decision, which has given Mayawati a clean chit in a disproportionate assets case in 2003-04.
The government has said she had tried to evade tax by showing sham transactions in the assessment year 2003-04, and prayed for setting aside the tribunal’s order.
While arguing, counsel for the government mentioned that the tribunal’s conclusion was wrong. “The fact that gifts were given out of natural love of donors was unquestioned,” the government said.
- Court allows reassessment of Mayawati's assets - Dec 18, 2008
- High Court permits reassessment of Mayawati''s income - Feb 13, 2009
- Mayawati blames central government for delay in tax case - Sep 18, 2009
- IT department freezes accounts of Mahindra Satyam - Mar 22, 2011
- I-T authorities can dissect any takeover deal: Apex court - Aug 04, 2011
- IT department freezes accounts of Mahindra Satyam (Lead) - Mar 22, 2011
- Salman Khan To Face The Wrath Of IT Department - Oct 13, 2010
- Case against Mayawati in disproportionate assets adjourned - Aug 30, 2010
- High court rejects IT department's plea against Nirma (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Salman Khan tax case: Court moved over Rs.40 million 'evasion' - Oct 12, 2010
- Relief for Gujarat construction company in tax case - Mar 07, 2011
- Customs officers to get more teeth - Jul 21, 2011
- Bofors scam returns to haunt Congress - Jan 03, 2011
- Court rejects IT department's plea against Nirma - Mar 23, 2011
- Disproportionate assets case baseless: Mayawati - Apr 23, 2010