Court reserves judgment on Karnataka legislators’ pleaFebruary 1st, 2011 - 9:05 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Feb 1 (IANS) The Karnataka High Court Tuesday concluded hearing arguments over the plea of five independent legislators against their disqualification from the assembly for rebelling against Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa.The court did not indicate when it would give the ruling on the petition of P.M. Narendraswamy, Gulihatti Shekhar, D. Sudhakar, Shivaraj Thangadagi and Venkataramanappa. They have challenged speaker K.G. Bopaiah disqualifying them Oct 10 last year.
The five, along with 11 ruling Bharatiya Janata Party law makers, were unseated by Bopaiah for rebelling against Yeddyurappa.
The disqualification was ordered a day ahead of Yeddyurappa sought vote of confidence of the assembly.
Following the rebellion the Yeddyurappa ministry lost majority in the 225-member house (including one nominated) and the chief minister was told by Governor H.R. Bhardwaj to seek the trust vote.
Yeddyurappa won the vote amid bedlam as opposition Congress and Janata Dal-Secular protested disqualification of 16 law makers, which gave the chief minister a slender majority.
The speaker justified his decision to disqualify the rebels under the provisions of the anti-defection law.
The independents’ plea was heard by Justices Mohan Shanthanagoudar, Abdul Nazeer and A.S. Bopanna.
The disqualification of 11 BJP rebels has been upheld by the high court. They have appealed against it in the Supreme Court.
- Karnataka High Court upholds suspension of disqualified MLAs - Feb 14, 2011
- Court upholds disqualification of five Karnataka legislators - Feb 14, 2011
- Yeddyurappa made party in lawmakers' disqualification case - Nov 15, 2010
- New twist in Karnataka Independents disqualification case - Nov 08, 2010
- Karnataka High Court to resume hearing on rebel BJP MLAs tomorrow - Oct 20, 2010
- Karnataka HC to continue hearing on MLAs disqualification case today - Oct 21, 2010
- Karnataka HC upholds disqualification of rebel BJP MLAs - Oct 29, 2010
- Three-judge bench to hear Karnataka Independents' case - Oct 31, 2010
- Karnataka crisis: High Court to decide rebel MLAs fate today - Oct 12, 2010
- Rebel Karnataka MLAs demand dismissal of Yeddyurappa Govt. - Oct 11, 2010
- Yeddyurappa Govt. in Karnataka survives 'Trust Vote' - Oct 11, 2010
- Speaker acted in haste on 16 Karnataka legislators: Apex court - Jan 25, 2012
- Disqualification of MLAs upheld, Yeddyurappa gets a relief (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- BJP to meet President Patil on Karnataka - Oct 11, 2010
- Yeddyurappa safe as court upholds rebels' disqualification (Roundup) - Oct 29, 2010
Tags: bedlam, chief minister, court reserves, defection, independent legislators, independents, judgment, karnataka high court, mohan, nazeer, opposition congress, petition, plea, rebellion, rebels, shekhar, slender majority, sudhakar, trust vote, vote of confidence