Court releases 1,500 EVMs for Delhi pollingApril 29th, 2009 - 7:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 29 (IANS) Taking note of the Delhi State Election Commission’s request ahead of Lok Sabha polls, a city court Wednesday ordered the release of 1,500 electronic voting machines (EVMs) that are in court custody for adjudication of disputes after municipal elections.
Additional District Judge (ADJ) Kamini Lau upheld the state Election Commission’s argument that the EVMs were required for the May 7 Lok Sabha polls in Delhi.
The machines, though in the Election Commissions’s possession, are considered to be in the deemed custody of the court when a judicial officer directs the poll panel to preserve election records for adjudication of disputes.
The court, dealing with a number of such petitions, had asked the Election Commission to preserve the EVMs, to be produced as evidence at the relevant stage in trial.
With just a few days to go for polling here, the Commission had moved applications before the court seeking the release of the EVMs so that they could be used at various polling stations.
The court, however, made certain conditions for the release of the EVMs. In cases where the disputes related to the signatures of the polling agents, the court directed the Commission to take photographs of the machines and attach them to the concerned files.
For other matters, the court directed the Commission to preserve relevant records.
- SC to hear plea for providing printout of votes in EVMs - Sep 13, 2012
- Don't use EVMs in Assam: AGP - Jan 22, 2012
- Swamy's plea on voting machines disposed of - Jan 17, 2012
- Hisar Lok Sabha, five assembly by-polls Oct 13 - Sep 07, 2011
- Supreme Court notice to poll panel on EVMs - Jul 25, 2011
- Plea questioning reliability of voting machines dismissed - Oct 19, 2010
- Order reserved on Swamy's plea on voting machines (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Judge visits slums over gangrape case (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Swamy's plea on EVMs disposed of (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Swamy's plea on voting machines dismissed (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Supreme Court notice to poll panel on EVMs (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- EVM's reliability challenged in Gujarat court - Oct 15, 2010
- Five rapists of minor get life term - Jan 28, 2012
- Ballot papers not EVMs for presidential poll - Jul 18, 2012
- Plea to declare Supreme Court bar association poll void - Jun 04, 2011
Tags: adjudication, april 29, delhi state election commission, district judge, election commissions, election records, electronic voting machines, evms, judicial officer, kamini, lau, Lok Sabha, municipal elections, New Delhi, petitions, polling stations, possession, relevant records, signatures, state election commission