Court rejects Chidambaram’s pleaAugust 4th, 2011 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 4 (IANS) The Madras High Court Thursday dismissed a petition filed by union Home Minister P. Chidambaram to set aside a case challenging his election to the Lok Sabha in 2009 from Sivaganga constituency in Tamil Nadu, a lawyer said.
In a close fight, Chidambaram defeated AIADMK’s R.S. Raja Kannappan by 3,354 votes. Kannappan challenged Chidambaram’s election in 2009.
Speaking to IANS, G. Saravanakumar, counsel for Kannappan, said: “The judge has said there is prima facie case against Chidambaram’s election. We hope the trial in the case would come to an end in three to six months time.”
Expecting Chidambaram to appeal against the high court’s order, Saravanakumar said a caveat petition would be filed in the Supreme Court so that his client (Kannappan) is notified whenever an appeal is filed.
In his petition, Kannappan said that Chidambaram’s election should be set aside on the grounds of manipulation and corrupt practice.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa during her visit to New Delhi in June demanded Chidambaram’s resignation, saying he did not really win the 2009 election to the Lok Sabha.
“He has not won the parliamentary election. In fact, he lost the election,” the AIADMK leader told a news conference in New Delhi. “He has played a fraud on the nation,” she added.
- Chidambaram hit by court ruling, opposition wants him out (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Jayalalithaa's remark contempt of court: Chidambaram - Jun 14, 2011
- Chidambaram in dock for poll result, opposition demands resignation (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Chidambaram never won election, must quit: Jayalalithaa (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- War of words breaks out between Chidambaram and Jayalalithaa (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Congress declines comment on Jaya's charge against Chidambaram - Jun 15, 2011
- Chidambaram need not resign, says Karunanidhi - Jun 09, 2012
- Counting agents should monitor data entry operators: Jayalalithaa - May 11, 2011
- Blazing a trail, Jayalalithaa fires salvo at Chidambaram, Maran (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2011
- Jayalalithaa springs surprise, attacks Chidambaram (Intro Roundup) - Jun 14, 2011
- 2G: Jayalalithaa welcomes apex court ruling - Feb 02, 2012
- Breather perhaps, but Chidambaram still in trouble - Feb 02, 2012
- Sack Chidambaram, says BJP's Joshi (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Congress rebuffs BJP's demand for Chidambaram's ouster - Jun 07, 2012
- Throw Chidambaram out of cabinet, BJP tells PM - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: caveat, chief minister, constituency, corrupt practice, j jayalalithaa, Lok Sabha, madras high court, manipulation, New Delhi, news conference, p chidambaram, parliamentary election, petition, plea, prima facie case, raja kannappan, resignation, six months, tamil nadu, union home minister