Court query on Gujarat cop’s testimony before riots panelJune 30th, 2011 - 12:48 am ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, June 29 (IANS) The Gujarat High Court Wednesday asked the advocate general to obtain details from a judicial commission probing the 2002 communal riots on the deposition of an Indian Police Service (IPS) officer who has blamed Chief Minister Narendra Modi for the carnage.
The court was hearing a petition seeking to know whether the Nanavaty-Mehta judicial enquiry commission was treating Gujarat cadre IPS officer Sanjeev Bhatt as a witness or an informer.
A bench comprising Chief Justice S.J. Mukhopadhaya and Justice J.B. Pardiwala asked Advocate General Kamal Trivedi and government pleader P.K. Jani to obtain instructions from secretary of the probe panel on the status of Bhatt’s deposition before the commission.
The bench were hearing a petition filed by Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind (JUH), which challenged the probe panel’s order passed June 21 to delete the cross-examination of Bhatt from records.
The case would next be heard July 8.
- High court reserves order on Jamiat plea - Jul 09, 2011
- Court bars Gujarat varsity registrar from holding office - Jun 22, 2011
- Court notice to state, centre on fixed wages - May 05, 2011
- Gujarat cop's Facebook posts figure in riots panel hearing - Jun 27, 2011
- Gujarat riots panel to decide on cop's testimony June 8 - May 25, 2011
- Court reserves order on plea of five former ad-hoc judges - Apr 14, 2011
- Gujarat Congress wants key documents on 2002 riots - Jun 14, 2011
- Gujarat court summons officials on pay hike issue - Jun 14, 2011
- Gujarat to change work profile of fast track courts - Apr 05, 2011
- Court issues notices on plea against Essar Terminal's jetty - Jun 22, 2011
- Questioning of ex-officials on Gujarat riots put off - Aug 10, 2011
- Gujarat launches scheme for juvenile delinquents' welfare - Apr 05, 2011
- Court dismisses plea of judges seeking reinstatement - Jun 22, 2011
- Old case haunts Ishrat Jahan probe team member - May 13, 2011
- Gujarat questioned on sewer workers' safety - Jun 22, 2011
Tags: advocate, bench, carnage, chief justice, chief minister, communal riots, cross examination, deposition, gujarat high court, indian police service, judicial commission, judicial enquiry, juh, june 21, june 29, kamal, mehta, modi, trivedi, ulama