Court moved over CBI probe into Orissa pulses scam (Lead)February 3rd, 2011 - 11:17 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 3 (IANS) The Orissa High Court was Thursday moved by a petitioner seeking a CBI probe into an alleged multi-crore rupee scam involving supply of poor quality pulses under government welfare schemes. A team of the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) also plans to inquire into the allegations. Petitioner Dilip Mohapatra said he filed the petition because he had no faith in the state’s investigating agencies and wanted “an investigation by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI)”.
The alleged scam, related to supplying poor quality pulses to women and children beneficiaries of government welfare schemes, came to light after the vigilance department last month confirmed there were irregularities at several places.
Although several days have passed, the vigilance department has not initiated action against anybody yet. As a result people involved in the scam have got the chance to destroy evidence, Mohapatra said.
The state government supplies pulses under the mid-day meal scheme, the integrated child development scheme and the supplementary nutrition programme.
The pulses were cooked and distributed among women and children across the state along with other food items with the aim of providing them supplementary nutrition.
Meanwhile, a central team of the BJP headed by national secretary Kirit Somaiya is expected to visit the state next week to make an on-the-spot assessment of the irregularities in the supply of poor quality pulses.
State BJP president Jual Oram said Somaiya will visit several districts Feb 7-8. Leaders of the state unit will also accompany him, he told IANS here.
- BJP team to visit Orissa over pulses scam - Feb 03, 2011
- Court serves notice to Orissa government on pulses scam - Feb 11, 2011
- Congress seeks resignation of Orissa minister - Feb 04, 2011
- Pulses scam: Orissa minister quits, 3 officers face action (Second Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Prosecute Patnaik over pulses scam, BJP tells Orissa governor - Feb 16, 2011
- Orissa budget session begins on stormy note - Feb 14, 2011
- Goa mining scam worth Rs.25,000 crore: BJP - Oct 07, 2011
- Orissa budget session off to a stormy start (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Orissa minister resigns over pulses scam (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Orissa assembly adjourned over pulses scam - Feb 15, 2011
- BJP demands Patnaik's prosecution on pulses scam - Feb 08, 2011
- About 200 acres of Srinagar air base land grabbed, says BJP - Sep 03, 2011
- Chavan grabbed over six flats in Adarsh: BJP secretary - Apr 25, 2012
- Will sue BJP leaders over mining charge: Goa minister - Oct 10, 2011
- Orissa rights panel seeks report on pulses scam - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: bjp president, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, child development, development scheme, food items, government welfare, irregularities, kirit somaiya, mid day, national secretary, oram, orissa high court, petitioner, poor quality, quality pulses, rupee, supplementary nutrition, vigilance, welfare schemes