Court extends Rajasthan BJP leader’s judicial custodyApril 16th, 2012 - 10:44 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, April 16 (IANS) A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court Monday extended till April 24 the judicial custody of senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator Rajendra Singh Rathore, who was arrested for his involvement in the Dara Singh staged shootout case.
The court, however, reserved its verdict on taking cognizance of the charge-sheet against Rathore, a former minister in the BJP’s Vasundhara Raje government.
“The court heard arguments from the prosecution as well as the defence over whether or not to take cognizance of the supplementary chargesheet filed against him by the CBI. The court reserved its verdict for April 24,” said CBI’s lawyer Sarfarz Haider Khan.
Khan said trial against Rathore will commence if the court takes cognizance of the chargesheet April 24.
Rathore who is lodged in the Jaipur Central Jail was brought to the court amid heavy security.
The CBI arrested Rathore April 12 after a brief interrogation at its Jaipur office.
The alleged staged shootout that led to the death of purported liquor smuggler Dara Singh by police’s special operations group took place on the outskirts of Jaipur Oct 23, 2006.
The probe agency, in its chargesheet filed in the court, accused Rathore of kidnapping and criminal conspiracy.
Dara Singh was once a known associate of Rathore before they fell apart and became rivals.
The CBI took over the case following a direction from the Supreme Court. The first charge sheet in the case was filed on June 3, 2011.
The case has so far seen the arrest of 11 policemen, including two Indian Police Service (IPS) officers — Additional Director General of Police A.K. Jain and Inspector General of Police A. Ponnuchami.
Other arrested policemen are inspectors Nisar Khan, Naresh Sharma and Subhash Godara, sub-inspectors Satyanarayan Godara and Munshi Lal, assistant sub-inspector Surendra Singh, constables Jagraj and Bardi Prasad and driver Sardar Singh.
Accused policemen Rajesh Chaudhary, Zulfikar and Arvind are on the run
- Rajasthan BJP legislator to be tried for staged shootout - Apr 24, 2012
- Custody of senior Rajasthan BJP leader extended - Apr 09, 2012
- Rajasthan legislator held for 2006 'staged' shootout - Apr 05, 2012
- Staged shootout: Charges framed against Rajasthan IPS officer - May 01, 2012
- Dara Singh case: BJP leader named in charge sheet - Jun 03, 2011
- Four Rajasthan cops accused of staged gunfight surrender - Jul 26, 2011
- Court nod for seizing Rajasthan cop's properties - Aug 20, 2011
- Bail denied to suspended cop in Dara Singh killing - Mar 02, 2012
- Rajasthan IPS officer surrenders in Dara Singh case - Feb 28, 2012
- Rajasthan BJP leader accused in shoot-out case, denies charges (Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
- Suspended IPS officer's judicial custody extended - Feb 29, 2012
- Custody of five Rajasthan Police officers extended - May 26, 2011
- Ex-cop gets bail in Rajasthan staged shootout - Aug 25, 2011
- Rajasthan top cop evading arrest, removed from post - Jun 02, 2011
- Rajasthan lawmaker discharged in staged shootout case - May 31, 2012
Tags: bardi, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, cbi court, central bureau of investigation, central jail, cognizance, constables, criminal conspiracy, dara singh, haider khan, heavy security, indian police service, judicial custody, munshi, naresh, rathore, special operations group, surendra singh, vasundhara raje