Court clears Tendulkar’s oath-taking in Rajya SabhaMay 16th, 2012 - 2:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 16 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday refused to restrain Sachin Tendulkar from taking oath as Rajya Sabha member and sought the central government’s response on a petition challenging the cricketer’s nomination to the upper house.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw was hearing a petition by Ram Gopal Singh Sisodia, who contended that Tendulkar’s nomination to the Rajya Sabha was contrary to the provisions of the constitution. The bench directed the government of India to file its reply by July 4, the next date of hearing.
Sisodia contended that Article 80(3) of the constitution provided for nomination to the Rajya Sabha of eminent people from the field of literature, science, art and social services.
There was no provision for the nomination of an individual to the Rajya Sabha from the field of sports, he asserted.
The petitioner said Tendulkar “did not possess any of the qualifications as provided under Article 80 of the Constitution of India. Therefore, his nomination is not in accordance with the provisions of the constitution and liable to be struck down”.
Tendulkar, who was given the honorary rank of group captain in the Indian Air Force in 2010, was nominated by the government for a seat in the upper house of parliament April 26 alongside actress Rekha and industrialist Anu Aga.
- Plea against Tendulkar's Rajya Sabha nomination dismissed (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- SC dismiss petition against Tendulkar's Rajya Sabha nomination - May 14, 2012
- President approves nomination of Sachin, Rekha to Rajya Sabha - Apr 26, 2012
- Rekha takes oath in Rajya Sabha - May 15, 2012
- President approves Tendulkar, Rekha's nomination to Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Rekha right behind, so Jaya to swap seat? (Second Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Rekha's Rajya Sabha nomination no ordinary achievement: Mahesh Bhatt - Apr 27, 2012
- Sachin says honoured by RS seat, but no politics - May 01, 2012
- Court notice on Delhi's illegal colonies - Aug 22, 2012
- Tendulkar says no to politics after RS nomination (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Ban uninsured vehicles, court urged - Sep 12, 2012
- Rekha takes oath in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Notice to Delhi over delayed admission of 1,400 students - Nov 02, 2011
- Court notice to centre on diesel-run vehicles - Jul 19, 2012
- Court declines plea on blocking of web pages - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: actress rekha, constitution of india, cricketer, delhi high court, division bench, gopal singh, government of india, group captain, house of parliament, indian air force, industrialist, literature science, rajiv, rajya sabha, ram gopal, sabha member, sahai, science art, tendulkar, upper house of parliament