Court asks Mayawati to explain use of public money for statuesJune 29th, 2009 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 29 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday asked the Uttar Pradesh government to explain, within four weeks, the use of public money for installing statues of Chief Minister Mayawati and other prominent Dalit leaders.
A vacation bench comprising Justices Dalveer Bhandari and A.K. Ganguli asked the state government to file an affidavit within four weeks, detailing its arguments for the use of public money to erect statues in the state.
The court’s order came in response to a public interest petition filed by an advocate Ravi Kant, seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe against Mayawati for misusing crores of rupees of public money for installing statues of herself and other Dalit leaders like Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, Kanshi Ram and the party’s elephant symbol.
Ravi Kant claimed that Rs.12.58 billion (Rs.1,258 crore) has been spent till now from the state exchequer to build statues, and a total of more than Rs.20 billion (Rs.2,000 crore) to “falsely glorify the chief minister”.
However, the court did not order any stay on the ongoing construction of statues and memorials in the state.
Fearing action from the apex court, Mayawati had unveiled 15 statues, including her own and of party founder Kanshi Ram June 25, before the matter came up for hearing in the court.
- Congress slams Mayawati for 'wasting public money' - Oct 14, 2011
- People will reply to Mayawati in polls, says BJP - Oct 14, 2011
- Thousands of stone carvers helped create Mayawati's dream project - Oct 15, 2011
- Supreme Court to hear PIL against Mayawati - Jun 29, 2009
- Supreme Court declines to stop Mayawati's statue spree (Lead) - Jul 10, 2009
- Mayawati inaugurates 'dream project', says Congress ignored Dalit icons (Roundup) - Oct 14, 2011
- BSP calls Congress anti-Dalit - Oct 16, 2011
- Spend more on people than statues, Congress tells Mayawati - Jun 29, 2009
- Fire in Noida's Ambedkar park, no injuries (Lead) - Jan 11, 2011
- Mayawati inaugurates Rs.684 crore Dalit park - Oct 14, 2011
- SC refuses to intervene in Mayawati statue installation case - Jul 10, 2009
- Fire in Noida's Ambedkar park, no injuries - Jan 11, 2011
- Lawsuit seeks derecognition of political parties - Mar 10, 2010
- Supreme Court issues notice to UP government on statues issue - Jun 29, 2009
- Mayawati in hurry; unveils memorials, statues before schedule - Jun 26, 2009
Tags: apex court, b r ambedkar, bhandari, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, crore, crores, dr b r ambedkar, elephant symbol, ganguli, kanshi ram, ongoing construction, party founder, public interest petition, public money, rs 2, rupees, state exchequer, uttar pradesh government