Court allows Arun Nehru to skip graft trialSeptember 12th, 2012 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 12 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday granted exemption to former minister of state for internal security Arun Nehru from personal appearance in a 1988 graft case related to a pistol purchase deal for the police forces.
Justice Pratibha Rani, who heard Nehru’s plea, said: “Personal appearance of the petitioner is exempted before the trial court, but appear through counsel on moving appropriate application to this effect before the trial court.”
The court also issued notice to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for Nov 21 on Nehru’s petition challenging the trial court order that rejected the probe agency’s closure report filed in July 2007.
Nehru moved the high court seeking quashing of the trial court order dated Aug 7 that rejected the closure report of the CBI and initiated fresh proceedings against him.
Nehru, who has been in political exile for nearly two decades, is alleged to have abused his position and entered into a criminal conspiracy with two associates to cause a loss of Rs.25 lakh ($45,000) to the exchequer in a pistol deal with a firm in erstwhile Czechoslovakia.
Sandeep Kapur, appearing for Nehru, told the court that the CBI had failed to obtain the requisite sanction against his client and the cognizance taken by the trial court was bad in law.
“On account of this grave lacuna in the prosecution case, the cognizance itself was bad in law as the very cognizance could not be taken without valid sanction,” he said.
- Former internal security czar Arun Nehru faces graft charge - Sep 02, 2012
- Nupur Talwar points to inconsistencies in CBI probe - May 04, 2012
- Supreme Court stays Jaffer Sharief's trial in graft case - Jul 04, 2012
- No relief for ex-railway minister in graft case - Apr 12, 2012
- SC to look into scope of magistrate's order on cognizance of offence - May 11, 2012
- Supreme Court defers hearing in Aarushi case till July 12 - Apr 25, 2011
- CBI backs magistrate's stand against Talwars (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Apex court reserves verdict on Talwars' trial transfer plea - Feb 27, 2012
- Supreme Court asks CBI to file reply in Aarushi case - Apr 15, 2011
- Supreme Court reserves verdict on Nupur Talwar's plea (Lead) - May 16, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,