Counting of presidential poll votes begins (Lead)July 22nd, 2012 - 12:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 22 (IANS) Counting of votes for the presidential poll began here Sunday with UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee looking set to win.
Senior Congress leaders including Home Minister P. Chidambaram and Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla were present at Parliament House where the counting is being held in Room No.63. The results are expected to be out by 4 p.m.
United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate Pranab Mukherjee is expected to bag 735,000 of the 1,097,000 votes.
His rival, Purno Sangma, supported by Bharatiya Janata Party, Shiromani Akali Dal, Asom Gana Parishad, AIADMK and Biju Janata Dal, is expected to garner about 313,000 votes.
India’s lawmakers, belonging to the parliament and legislative assemblies, had cast their ballots July 19 to elect the nation’s 13th president.
About 95 percent of the total 4,896 electors - 776 MPs and 4,120 assembly members — exercised their franchise at the polling centres set up at Parliament House and 30 other state and union territories with assemblies.
- Presidential poll outcome Sunday - Jul 21, 2012
- India to elect new president Thursday - Jul 18, 2012
- India to elect new president Thursday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Vote count on for presidential poll (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab favourite as lawmakers vote for new president (Evening Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Presidential poll counting to begin at 11 a.m. - Jul 22, 2012
- Parties begin as Pranab set for victory (Third Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Ballot papers not EVMs for presidential poll - Jul 18, 2012
- Polling to elect next Indian president ends - Jul 19, 2012
- Sonia's lunch presents picture of UPA unity (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Presidential election: Break-up of votes polled - Jul 22, 2012
- Voting begins to elect India's new president - Jul 19, 2012
- Indian lawmakers vote to elect new president (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Advantage Pranab as lawmakers vote to elect new president (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- The mathematics of India's presidential poll - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,