Counting begins in Madhya PradeshMay 16th, 2009 - 10:26 am ICT by IANS
Bhopal, May 16 (IANS) Counting of votes for all the 29 parliamentary seats in Madhya Pradesh began simultaneously in 50 district headquarters across the state Saturday with the postal ballots being tabulated in the first round.
“Counting of EVM votes is being preceded by counting of postal ballots. In case the margin of victory of a candidate is less than the postal ballots, then a recount would be undertaken,” said Madhya Pradesh’s chief electoral officer J.S. Mathur.
“The security of strong rooms has been entrusted to a gazetted officer of the police,” he added.
Counting of votes is being carried out by assembly segments at each district and the returning officer of every Lok Sabha seat would be apprised of the votes counted.
It is expected that the results of the Satna and Chhindwara constituencies would be declared first as these constituencies have the least vote-counting tables.
For the first phase on April 23, 51.13 percent voting was recorded; in the second phase on April 30 for 16 seats, it was 51.14 percent.
- Madhya Pradesh records over 20 percent voting by 11 a.m. (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- 10 percent voting in Madhya Pradesh in first four hours (Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- Madhya Pradesh records nearly 40 percent voting (Third Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- Postal votes valid if received till counting: Poll panel - Feb 29, 2012
- EVMs for assembly polls checked in parties' presence: Quraishi - Mar 02, 2011
- Bye-polls for 27 seats in eight states on June 12 - Apr 24, 2012
- Madhya Pradesh records 47 percent voting (Fourth Lead) - Apr 24, 2009
- Polling brisk and peaceful in Bengal (Fourth Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- Voting picks up in UP seventh phase poll (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- People vote in large numbers in West Bengal (Third Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- People vote in large numbers in West Bengal (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- Over 85 percent turnout in Bengal's peaceful phase two polling (Intro Roundup) - Apr 23, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh to vote in second round Saturday - Feb 10, 2012
- Ballot papers in five Andhra by-polls, EVMs in other seven - Jul 12, 2010
- Over 80 percent turnout in phase two of Bengal polls (Roundup) - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: ballots, bhopal, chhindwara, chief electoral officer, constituencies, district headquarters, Lok Sabha, margin of victory, parliamentary seats, returning officer, satna, second phase, segments, strong rooms, vote