Countdown to Mamata’s dramatic announcementJune 13th, 2012 - 8:47 pm ICT by IANS
Here’s the rundown to Wednesday’s dramatic announcement on the presidential poll:
June 12, Tuesday
– 4.30 p.m.: Trinamool Congress president and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee arrives in the national capital, a day ahead of her meeting with Congress president Sonia Gandhi over the July 19 presidential polls.
– 5 p.m.: After landing in Delhi, she heads straight to the residence of another key United Progressive Alliance (UPA) ally Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav.
– Aims to create a pressure group within the Congress-led UPA.
– 6.30 p.m.: Banerjee says she will again meet Yadav after meeting Gandhi Wednesday to finalise strategy.
June 13, Wednesday
– 4.30 p.m.: Banerjee meets Gandhi.
– 5.30 p.m.: Announces that the Congress prefers Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Vice President M. Hamid Ansari for the high office.
– 6 p.m.: Banerjee meets Yadav.
– 6.55 p.m.: She announces names of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam and former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee as potential candidates for the presidential polls.
– In a way, rules out candidature of Mukherjee, the most-preferred Congress candidate.
- Contest imminent if Congress goes ahead with Pranab: Trinamool - Jun 14, 2012
- Chronology of events to Pranab being named UPA's president candidate - Jun 15, 2012
- Mamata plays pivotal role in presidential talk (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Sonia has hectic day over presidential poll talks (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Game not over yet, won't say anything about Mulayam: Mamata (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential choice (Second Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Presidential poll: Mamata meets Sonia as Congress seeks UPA consensus (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- India's next president: still mired in uncertainty (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential choice Wednesday (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Sonia's hectic parleys on presidential choice - Jun 14, 2012
- Mukherjee will now win by bigger margin, says Congress - Jul 17, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential polls Wednesday - Jun 12, 2012
- President polls: Congress hopes for Mamata's support - May 03, 2012
- Kalam should not contest presidential poll: Somnath - Jun 16, 2012
- Presidential polls: BJP woos Jayalalithaa, NDA to meet Friday (Third Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, congress candidate, congress president sonia gandhi, dramatic announcement, finance minister, hamid ansari, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, manmohan singh, mulayam singh yadav, pranab mukherjee, presidential poll, presidential polls, pressure group, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, somnath chatterjee, trinamool congress, west bengal