Corruption dents India’s global image: PMFebruary 4th, 2011 - 1:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 4 (IANS) Expressing concern over the “menace” of corruption in the wake of a series of scams, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Friday said it demeans and dents India’s image.”Corruption strikes at the roots of good governance. It is an impediment to faster growth. It dilutes, if not negates, our efforts at social inclusion. It dents our international image and it demeans us before our own people,” Manmohan Singh said, addressing the second annual conference of chief secretaries of states here.
The prime minister said the “challenge” of corruption needed to “be faced frontally, boldly and quickly”.
He said the government has set up a group of ministers to look “into all measures, legal or administrative, to tackle this menace”.
He also mentioned two bills introduced in parliament relating to judicial accountability and the protection of whistleblowers.
“Along with legislation, the necessary revamp of administrative practices and procedures needs to be fast-tracked,” he said.
He asserted that a systemic response needs to be put in place to reduce opportunities for corruption.
“It is now well documented that the introduction of competition, greater choice and modern technology can cut down the opportunities for corruption in a very meaningful manner.”
- Corruption dents India's image, tackle it boldly: PM (Lead) - Feb 04, 2011
- Manmohan Singh suggests procedures to end corruption - Feb 04, 2011
- Manmohan Singh seeks bureaucrats cooperation to fight corruption - Apr 21, 2011
- NDA regime first deviated on spectrum policy: Sibal (Roundup) - Feb 04, 2011
- Lokpal bill in monsoon session: PM (Lead) - Apr 21, 2011
- Tackling corruption top of government agenda: PM - Oct 21, 2011
- PM calls for critical look at RTI, BJP objects - Oct 14, 2011
- 'Implement UN convention against corruption' - Apr 25, 2012
- Mamata echoes 'honest' PM on Hazare fast - Aug 23, 2011
- Government open to debate on Lokpal: PM (Lead) - Aug 22, 2011
- Text of PM's statement in parliament - Dec 27, 2011
- Abolition of ministers' discretionary powers on cards: Patil (Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
- PM firm on Lokpal bill as Bhushans fight more taint (Evening Lead) - Apr 21, 2011
- Time right to curb corruption: PM - Oct 30, 2011
- Tough days ahead for new Indian Army chief (News Analysis) - May 31, 2012
Tags: administrative practices, challenge of corruption, chief secretaries, dents, global image, good governance, impediment, international image, judicial accountability, manmohan, manmohan singh, meaningful manner, modern technology, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, scams, social inclusion, systemic response, whistleblowers