Corruption allegations against me baseless, says Anna

August 14th, 2011 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS  

New Delhi, Aug 14 (IANS) Terming the government’s allegations of corruption against him as “baseless and false”, social activist Anna Hazare Sunday dared the government to start a probe against him and said he will continue his fast until the charges are proved wrong.

“The government has made false allegations against me. The government so far had targeted all members of the civil society, including Shanti and Prashant Bhushan, Justice Santosh Hegde and Arvind Kejriwal, but me. Today they have targeted me,” Hazare told reporters here.

The Congress Sunday targeted the 74-year-old activist, saying he was “neck deep in corruption” and has no right to talk about evading corruption.

“They (government) are liars and I am challenging the government to register a police complaint against me and start an inquiry. I am not afraid of any inquiry. I have decided that I will continue my fast till the false allegations against me are proven wrong,” he said.

Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari made the corruption allegations against Hazare citing the Justice Sawant Committee report that probed the trusts run by him.

Quoting the Justice Sawant panel report, Hazare said that nowhere has the report taken his name.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Politics |

Subscribe