Corrupt IAS officer in Bihar to be prosecutedSeptember 29th, 2011 - 4:12 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Sep 29 (IANS) A suspended Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, whose house was confiscated and turned into a primary school, will be prosecuted for having assets disproportionate to his known sources of income, an official said Thursday.
An official in the Chief Minister’s Office here said the central government has cleared the proposal of the Bihar government to initiate proceedings against Shiv Shankar Verma. “Now the state government will start the prosecution of Verma.”
Verma, who was suspended after vigilance sleuths searched his residence in 2007, is untraceable and not available for comments.
Earlier, a special court had stayed the proceedings of several cases against Verma. He also had got bail for delay in starting proceedings against him in all the cases in the court.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has repeatedly said at public meetings across the state in the last few months that ill-gotten property of corrupt officials will be confiscated and turned into schools for poor children.
In the first week of September, a primary school was opened in the confiscated three-storey house of Verma. He became the first officer to face such action under the Bihar Special Courts Act, 2009.
The Rukunpura school will benefit the downtrodden as most of the children enrolled in the school there are Mahadalits — the poorest of the poor in Bihar, an official said.
A former minor irrigation secretary, Verma, and eight of his relatives faced a case of disproportionate assets amounting to Rs.1.44 crore.
In August, the Patna High Court rejected Verma’s petition challenging the vigilance court’s order to confiscate his house.
- Bihar opens school in tainted officer's seized house - Sep 08, 2011
- After house, corrupt Bihar official's land seized - Nov 21, 2011
- Another corrupt official's house confiscated in Bihar - Nov 19, 2011
- Another corrupt Bihar official's home to house school - Dec 04, 2011
- To track ill-gotten assets, Bihar ready to cross borders - Feb 16, 2012
- Court orders confiscation of former DGP's assets - Feb 01, 2012
- Bihar to confiscate BJP lawmaker's assets - Feb 04, 2012
- CBI to adopt Bihar law to seize homes of corrupt - Jan 28, 2012
- Bihar cracks whip again, sacks corrupt official - Jan 24, 2012
- Tainted Bihar officer missing after house confiscated - Sep 06, 2011
- Bihar government now targets corrupt middlemen - Jan 21, 2012
- Seizure of officer's house a warning: Bihar CM - Sep 05, 2011
- Bihar appoints Lokpals in 12 districts - Oct 31, 2011
- Bihar to speed up prosecution of corrupt officials - Jan 24, 2011
- Ex-Bihar police chief's illegal assets to be seized - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,