Convene meeting of Cauvery River Authority: JayalalithaaMay 19th, 2012 - 4:48 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 19 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa has urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to immediately convene a meeting of the Cauvery River Authority to decide on various issues relating to sharing of the river between Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.
In a letter to the prime minister Friday, the text of which was released to media here Saturday, Jayalalithaa said: “The Cauvery River Authority last met on 10.2.2003 and its meeting is long overdue.”
She said the Karnataka government is not ensuring the flow in the Cauvery river during June to September as per the monthly pattern prescribed in the interim order in force or as per the final order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
“Further, the Government of Karnataka has been unjustly utilising the water for summer irrigation from February to May by depleting the storage in its four major reservoirs,” Jayalalithaa said.
Owing to depletion of storage during summer months, Karnataka impounds all the initial monsoon flows in its reservoirs and releases water only when they start surplusing, thus affecting the inflows into the Mettur Dam, which consequently affects the crops very badly in Tamil Nadu, Jayalalithaa said.
Citing the interim order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal restraining Karnataka from increasing its area under cultivation beyond 11.20 lakh acres, Jayalalithaa said Karnataka is not furnishing year-wise details of area under irrigation.
According Jayalalithaa, Tamil Nadu may face distress condition any time now and hence a meeting of the Cauvery River Authority has to be convened to consider the distress sharing formula.
- Centre ignoring livelihood issues: Jayalalithaa - Jul 24, 2012
- 'Tamil Nadu won't allow Mekedatu dam across Cauvery' - Mar 30, 2012
- Jayalalithaa renews call for Cauvery River Authority meet - Aug 23, 2012
- Cauvery River Authority to meet Wednesday after 9 years - Sep 18, 2012
- Karnataka for new formula for Cauvery water sharing - Sep 11, 2012
- Resolve Cauvery water dispute, SC tells PMO (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Karnataka asks PM to rescind Cauvery water decision - Sep 21, 2012
- Will move apex court again on Cauvery water: Jayalalithaa - Sep 19, 2012
- PM asked to tell Kerala to halt irrigation scheme - Jun 21, 2012
- Cauvery river panel meets on Tamil Nadu's call - Sep 19, 2012
- Cauvery water dispute adds to Karnataka Congress' woes (Karnataka Newsletter) - Sep 21, 2012
- Appoint chairman for Cauvery panel: Jayalalithaa - Apr 20, 2012
- Cauvery award: Both Tamil Nadu, Karnataka unhappy (Roundup) - Sep 20, 2012
- Resolve Cauvery water sharing dispute, says SC to PMO - Sep 03, 2012
- Water from Mettur Dam to be released June 6 - May 22, 2011
Tags: cauvery river authority, cauvery water disputes tribunal, chennai, chief minister, crops, distress condition, government of karnataka, j jayalalithaa, karnataka government, manmohan, manmohan singh, mettur dam, monsoon, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, reservoirs, storage, summer irrigation, water disputes