Conspiracy to create unrest in Bengal: MamataMarch 22nd, 2012 - 7:47 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 22 (IANS) Alleging there was an attempt to inject communal disharmony in West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Thursday ordered a probe into the issue and appealed for peace and order.
She also hinted at the involvement of the Left opposition in the alleged “conspiracy”.
“There is a deliberate attempt, a conspiracy, to spread communal disharmony in the state,” the chief minister told reporters at Writers’ Buidling.
“A picture which was earlier published in an English daily has now been morphed to hurt religious sentiments and to spread communal disharmony. The state and city police as well as the CID are investigating.
“We will surely catch those who are behind this conspiracy. The people of Bengal will neither tolerate any attempt to disturb communal harmony,” she said.
Without naming the opposition, she hinted at their involvement.
“The conspiracy is a clear indication of their political bankruptcy. They have become desperate and resorting to all means to create trouble,” added Banerjee.
Incensed over a photograph of model Poonam Pandey, protesters Tuesday blocked roads for some six hours crippling life in parts of Kolkata, prompting the administration to deploy security forces.
Both Banerjee and the Left have appealed for peace.
- Protesters block roads; Mamata, Left Front appeal for peace - Mar 21, 2012
- Mamata warns against politics over Assamese refugees - Jul 28, 2012
- Mamata's remarks about CPI-M defamatory: Left Front - Dec 22, 2011
- CPI-M plotting to poison drinking water: Mamata - Dec 22, 2011
- Mamata urges people to foil strike, CPI-M says it will be a success - Feb 27, 2012
- Threats to Trinamool leaders: Mamata hints at 'Marxist-Maoist' plot - Nov 18, 2011
- Hypocrite Mamata? Bengal CM appeals against strike - Feb 27, 2012
- Mamata asks Maoists to lay down arms (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Mamata's 'poisoned water' allegation angers Left Front - Dec 24, 2011
- Mamata airs concern over northeast people's exodus - Aug 20, 2012
- Stop exit polls, demands Left Front - May 12, 2011
- Mamata will run Bengal well: Pranab - Apr 11, 2011
- Mamata indulging in politics of gimmick: Left Front - Oct 24, 2010
- Mamata sniffs sabotage, orders probe into Kolkata fire - Mar 22, 2012
- Congress urges Mamata to withdraw circular curbing newspapers - Apr 02, 2012
Tags: bankruptcy, chief minister, cid, city police, communal disharmony, communal harmony, conspiracy, deliberate attempt, kolkata, left opposition, mamata banerjee, peace and order, photograph, protesters, religious sentiments, security forces, six hours, unrest, west bengal