Congress working committee to be announced soonDecember 21st, 2010 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 21 (IANS) As an immediate follow-up to the 83rd Congress plenary session that ended here Monday, Congress president Sonia Gandhi is likely to announce the new working committee soon, paving the way for a cabinet reshuffle, party sources here said. As per the “one person one post” policy, the reshuffle may witness several ministers relieved of party responsibilities, the sources said Tuesday.
A special meeting of the All India Congress Committee (AICC) here Nov 2 had authorised party president Sonia Gandhi to nominate the working committee. This was followed by the 83rd party plenary held here Dec 18-20.
At present, ministers Ghulam Nabi Azad, Mukul Wasnik and V. Narayanasamy are general secretaries. Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, who till recently was a Union minister, is also a general secretary.
Senior ministers A.K. Antony and M. Veerappa Moily are in-charge of important states — Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh, respectively.
The appointment of a new 23-member working committee will then be followed by or coincide with the much-awaited cabinet reshuffle, party sources said.
Three Union ministers had resigned this year — Shashi Tharoor following the IPL controversy, DMK’s A. Raja (DMK) in the wake of the 2G spectrum scandal and Prithviraj Chavan, to take over as Maharashtra chief minister.
- Manmohan meets president amid cabinet reshuffle reports (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- Congress non-committal about cabinet reshuffle - Jan 17, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle likely after January 14 - Jan 11, 2011
- No problem between Sonia Gandhi, PM: Congress spokesman - Dec 14, 2010
- Congress leadership to finalise changes in AICC - Jan 20, 2011
- Congress, NCP stand-off ends with decision on better coordination (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Bihar Congress ticket fraud: Wasnik under fire - Dec 20, 2010
- Cabinet reshuffle expected in next 24 hours - Jan 18, 2011
- Manmohan Singh meets Sonia, cabinet reshuffle likely next week (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- AICC meeting may authorise Sonia to appoint working committee - Nov 01, 2010
- Time for Rahul Gandhi to take more responsibility: Digvijay Singh - Dec 19, 2010
- PM meets Sonia, cabinet reshuffle likely next week (Second Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Chavan's job may herald changes in government, Congress - Nov 10, 2010
- Cabinet reshuffle today, major changes in portfolios expected - Jan 19, 2011
- Manmohan meets president, fuels reshuffle speculation - Jan 17, 2011
Tags: aicc, antony, cabinet reshuffle, chavan, chief minister, congress plenary, congress president sonia gandhi, congress working committee, general secretary, ghulam nabi azad, india congress committee, party president, party responsibilities, paving the way, plenary session, prithviraj, shashi tharoor, union minister, union ministers, veerappa