Congress wins in Sawai Madhopur, BJP wants recountMay 17th, 2009 - 1:19 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, May 17 (IANS) Congress candidate and union minister Namonarain Meena defeated Gujjar leader K.S. Bainsla of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) by a margin of 317 votes in Rajasthan’s Tonk-Sawai Madhopur seat Sunday but the BJP asked for recounting of votes, a poll official said.
Counting in the constituency was stopped Saturday after one of the electronic voting machines (EVMs) developed a snag. When the counting was conducted again Sunday, Meena was found to have won by 317 votes.
“The BJP had sought a recount. We will take a decision in this regard soon,” an Election Commission official told IANS.
BJP’s Bainsla had led the violent agitations by Gujjars in the state demanding tribal status for the community, which is presently classified as other backward caste.
On Saturday, the Congress swept Rajasthan by winning 19 of the state’s 25 Lok Sabha seats and routing the opposition BJP.
In 2004, the Congress had won four and the BJP the remaining 21 parliamentary seats.
- Meena beats Bainsla, Congress' Rajasthan tally is 20 - May 17, 2009
- Congress sweeps Rajasthan, routs BJP (Night Lead) - May 17, 2009
- Rajasthan polling ends, around 50 percent turnout expected (Fifth Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Over 36 percent turnout in Rajasthan in eight hours (Fourth Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Gujjar leader Bainsla joins BJP in Rajasthan - Apr 12, 2009
- Congress headed for massive win in Rajasthan (Second Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Congress bags two seats in Rajasthan, leads in 18 (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- In first six hours, 26 percent voter turnout in Rajasthan (Third Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Congress takes huge early lead in Rajasthan - May 16, 2009
- About 19 percent turnout in Rajasthan in first four hours (Second Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Gujjars continue stir as talks fail - Dec 26, 2010
- Bainsla gets BJP ticket from Rajasthan - Apr 16, 2009
- 2009 Lok Sabha election: results tally - May 17, 2009
- 2009 Lok Sabha election: results tally (Lead) - May 17, 2009
- BJP adds Ghaziabad mayor's seat to its kitty - Jul 08, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, caste, congress candidate, constituency, election commission, electronic voting machines, gujjars, lok sabha seats, opposition, parliamentary seats, poll, regard, snag, tonk, tribal status, union minister