Congress walks out of UP assembly after dig against N.D. TiwariJune 30th, 2012 - 11:30 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 30 (IANS) Congress members walked out of the Uttar Pradesh assembly Saturday after a tiff with legislators of the ruling Samajwadi Party (SP) when Parliamentary Affairs Minister Azam Khan made some remarks against former chief minister Narayan Dutt Tiwari.
The fight broke out when Congress leader Pramod Tiwari requested, during a cut motion on the housing budget, that the state government should emulate schemes of former chief ministers Veer Bahadur Singh and Tewari and come with housing projects for legislators and journalists like Vidhayakpuram and Patrakarpuram of the 1980s.
At this Khan made an unsavoury remark on Tiwari, who served as chief minister of both Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand. Congress members took umbrage to his statement and asked Speaker Mata Prasad Pandey to expunge the statement.
Pandey assured the angry Congress legislators that he would look into the matter. BJP members also castigated Khan for making such remarks.
Angry at Khan’s statement, the Congress legislators walked out of the House. Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav later intervened and requested the chair to expunge Azam Khan’s remark from the records of proceedings.
- Cancel my son-in-law's ticket: Bukhari - Apr 06, 2012
- Ruckus in Himachal assembly over Dhumal's remarks - Aug 24, 2011
- UP assembly opens on stormy note - May 28, 2012
- Legislator throws pen stand at Orissa speaker - Dec 20, 2010
- UP assembly adjourned till Tuesday - May 28, 2012
- UP gifts Rs.20 lakh to MLAs for cars, opposition protests - Jul 03, 2012
- Verbal byplay enlivens Rajya Sabha proceedings - Apr 20, 2010
- With ministers like his, Akhilesh needs no enemies (Uttar Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 18, 2012
- UP backtracks on 7 p.m. closure order for shop, malls (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Has Hazare taken on more than he can handle? (Comment) - Apr 16, 2011
- Omar's remarks: Protest sit-in staged outside assembly - Oct 08, 2010
- National Conference worker's death rocks Kashmir assembly (Roundup) - Oct 03, 2011
- Akhilesh firefights as ministers, officials embarrass government (Uttar Pradesh Newsletter) - May 13, 2012
- Chaos in Kashmir assembly over NC worker's death - Oct 03, 2011
- A word from Sonia means 24x7 power - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: 1980s, affairs minister, akhilesh yadav, azam khan, chief minister, chief ministers, congress leader, congress members, housing projects, journalists, legislators, lucknow, parliamentary affairs, pramod, proceedings, state government, tewari, tiff, uttar pradesh, uttarakhand