Congress vows to win Lok Sabha pollsMay 7th, 2009 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 7 (IANS) The Congress party asserted Thursday that it was confident of finishing as the winner in the Lok Sabha elections ending May 13.
Congress general secretary M. Veerappa Moily told a news conference here that the party’s ties with its pre-election allies was “very firm” and that a Congress-led government was the need of the hour.
“The Congress-UPA (United Progressive Alliance) partnership is very firm. Our priority is to firm up our partners,” he said as the penultimate round of the nationwide election was in progress.
He said the alliance with most Congress partners in UPA was “very firm, very concrete and we are going to march forward”.
Moily said there was no way the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) would gain more Lok Sabha seats and that the Congress would finish as “the strongest party” in the 545-member Lok Sabha.
Suggesting that only the Congress could provide governance, he said: “The people of this country want stability, growth, development, security for all.”
He denied that Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi had made overtures to the Janata Dal-United (JD-U) when he praised Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar two days ago.
Gandhi’s comments “don’t mean we are making overtures. We know very well that they (JD-U) are with NDA (National Democratic Alliance). We will never make overtures”.
He said the Congress valued its relationship with pre-poll partners Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and the Lok Janshakti Party (LJP).
He reminded reporters that RJD and LJP leaders Lalu Prasad and Ram Vilas Paswan had repeatedly voiced their loyalty to Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
- Congress, RJD trying to confuse voters. says Nitish Kumar - Sep 21, 2010
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- JD-U to support Pranab for presidency - Jun 21, 2012
- In Bihar, RJD leaders feel need for tie-up with Congress - Oct 22, 2010
- JD-U, BJP take early lead in Bihar (Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- In Bihar, 30,000 aspirants for assembly polls - Sep 19, 2010
- BJP observers to elect Legislature Party leader in Bihar - Nov 25, 2010
- JD-U, BJP poised to bag 201 seats - Nov 24, 2010
- BJP's alliance partners in Jharkhand to support Pranab - Jul 17, 2012
- Voting in Bihar for Rajya Sabha seats - Jun 17, 2010
- BJP, JD-U to meet on presidential candidate - May 02, 2012
- Paswan, Rudy win Rajya Sabha polls from Bihar - Jun 17, 2010
- JD-U, BJP claim victory in Bihar, opposition struggles (Third Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Nitish Kumar's alliance heads for victory in Bihar (Second Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Lalu congratulates Nitish, but not BJP - Nov 24, 2010
Tags: alliance partnership, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chief minister, congress party, congress president sonia gandhi, development security, general secretary, lok sabha elections, lok sabha polls, lok sabha seats, national democratic alliance, overtures, progressive alliance, rahul gandhi, ram vilas paswan, rjd, UPA, veerappa, vilas