Congress to seek 100 seats from Trinamool?March 9th, 2011 - 2:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 9 (IANS) The Congress is expected to begin formal seat sharing talks with the Trinamool Congress within a week for the West Bengal assembly polls, having sealed a pact with the DMK in Tamil Nadu.
Congress sources said state leaders had suggested that the party should seek from the Trinamool around 100 seats to contest in the 294-member assembly. The West Bengal polls will be held from April 18 to May 10.
Congress leader and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee Tuesday met district presidents and MPs from the state to identify the seats the party wished to contest, they said.
Former union minister Shakeel Ahmed, the Congress in-charge of West Bengal, said informal discussions had taken place with the Trinamool but formal seat sharing talks between the two parties were yet to begin.
“As members of political parties, it is natural to have informal discussions. No formal discussions have taken place. We will sit together and hopefully arrive at a mutually agreeable number for both parties,” Ahmed told IANS.
He said the talks were likely to take place in a week.
Ahmed, who met district presidents for more than three hours Tuesday, took feedback about winning prospects of the party.
Trinamool sources said the party has offered 58 seats to the Congress.
- Now a Congress-Trinamool tiff in Bengal? (Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- Trinamool tie-up good for both parties: Congress - Mar 10, 2011
- Congress hopeful of doing well in elections - Mar 02, 2011
- 'Congress-Trinamool pact within a week' (Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- Congresss-Trinamool attempt to resolve seat-sharing imbroglio - Mar 13, 2011
- Congress, Trinamool to hold another round of W. Bengal seat sharing talks - Mar 16, 2011
- WB polls seat sharing: Mamata sets deadline for Congress - Mar 17, 2011
- Talks with Trinamool not yet over: Pranab - Mar 16, 2011
- Trinamool, Congress seal seat-sharing deal for Bengal polls (Intro Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Congress to take up Trinamool issue, Kerala list Monday - Mar 20, 2011
- Congress, Trinamool reach accord for Bengal polls (Lead) - Mar 21, 2011
- Congress-TMC strike deal for WB polls - Mar 21, 2011
- Congress seals pact with Trinamool for West Bengal assembly polls (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Congress, Trinamool finalise seat sharing arrangement - Mar 21, 2011
- Jolted by Trinamool, Congress to wait for Sonia's return (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: congress leader, district presidents, dmk, finance minister, formal discussions, informal discussions, member assembly, mps, New Delhi, pact, political parties, pranab mukherjee, prospects, shakeel ahmed, state leaders, tamil nadu, trinamool congress, union minister, west bengal