Congress to review poll debacle in ChhattisgarhJune 17th, 2009 - 8:47 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, June 17 (IANS) The Congress would undertake a thorough review of its Lok Sabha poll debacle in Chhattisgarh, senior party leader Motilal Vora said here Wednesday.
“The Congress performance in the Lok Sabha polls (in the state) was below our expectations. The party needs to make a thorough review at the earliest,” Vora, the national treasurer for the party, told reporters.
Vora, a Rajya Sabha member from the state, said V. Narayanasamy, party general secretary and in-charge of Chhattisgarh, will be soon here for a review meeting.
The Congress won just one of the state’s 11 Lok Sabha seats, even as the party did well at the national level and returned to power.
The party’s state working president Charandas Mahant won from Korba but several senior leaders, including former chief minister Ajit Jogi’s wife Renu Jogi, were defeated by the state’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidates.
Vora refused to blame the party’s state president Dhanendra Sahu for its worst poll performance. “We should collectively own up responsibility for defeat rather than pointing fingers at an individual,” he said.
- Hectic lobbying on for new Chhattisgarh Congress chief - Mar 21, 2011
- Factionalism widens in Chhattisgarh Congress after bypoll loss - Feb 19, 2011
- Chhattisgarh's lone Congress MP lobbying for ministerial berth - May 23, 2009
- Congress appoints office bearers in Chhattisgarh - Oct 04, 2011
- Old rivals to fight on new Chhattisgarh turf - Mar 23, 2009
- 178 in fray for Chhattisgarh's 11 Lok Sabha seats - Apr 03, 2009
- Presidential polls: Fear of poaching haunts Chhattisgarh parties - Jul 10, 2012
- Vajpayee's niece, Jogi's wife lose in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- BJP ahead in 10 of Chhattisgarh's 11 seats (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Congress sees no Lok Sabha hope in Chhattisgarh minus Jogi - Mar 08, 2009
- Congress stunned in Chhattisgarh, but gets new hero - May 17, 2009
- Presidential poll: Congress deflates Chhattisgarh leader's tribal card - Jul 04, 2012
- Congress factions in Chhattisgarh unite against Jogi - Dec 16, 2008
- Chhattisgarh Congress leaders surprised by 'improved performance' - Dec 11, 2008
- Toss-up between Congress, BJP in Chhattisgarh - Nov 04, 2009
Tags: ajit jogi, chhattisgarh raipur, chief minister, congress, general secretary, korba, lok sabha poll, lok sabha polls, lok sabha seats, mahant, national treasurer, party leader, pointing fingers, poll debacle, rajya sabha member, renu, sahu, state president, worst poll