Congress to name Tytler, Sajjan replacements in ‘day or two’April 10th, 2009 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 10 (IANS) A decision on the Congress’ candidates for the North East Delhi and South Delhi constituencies would be taken in a day or two, the party said Friday, a day after Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar were pulled out of the race for their links to the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
“The decision is likely to be taken in a day or two after (party president) Soniaji returns tomorrow,” Tom Vadakkan, All India Congress Committee (AICC) media secretary, told IANS.
The names doing the rounds for North East Delhi, from where Tytler was supposed to contest, include Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee chief Jai Prakash Aggarwal, legislator Mateen Ahmad and former member of the National Commission for Minorities Harcharan Singh Josh, said a party leader.
For South Delhi, the names under consideration are Sajjan Kumar’s son Jag Parvesh, former mayor Jaishree Panwar and Delhi speaker Yoganand Shastri, he added.
The Congress announced Thursday that it had dropped Tytler and Sajjan Kumar in the wake of protests over their alleged involvement in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case - Aug 03, 2012
- Akali Dal, SGPC oppose Tytler in Olympics delegation - Jul 09, 2012
- Court observes two-minute silence for 1984 riots victims - Apr 03, 2012
- 1984 riots: CBI blames Sajjan Kumar for inciting mob - Apr 23, 2012
- Sikhs demand death sentence for Sajjan Kumar, Jagdish Tytler - May 05, 2010
- Rivals implicated me in 1984 riots case: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012
- Only three witnesses deposed against me: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 22, 2012
- Tytler apologizes for 'shameful' 1984 riots - Apr 10, 2009
- BJP demands punishment for guilty in anti-Sikh riots - Nov 03, 2010
- 1984 riots: Sajjan Kumar's plea dismissed - Jun 02, 2012
- Tytler given clean chit in 1984 anti-Sikh riots case - Apr 27, 2010
- Supreme Court suspends Sajjan Kumar trial in '84 riots case - Jul 11, 2012
- Sajjan Kumar issued notice in anti-Sikh riots cases - Feb 01, 2010
- Tytler seeks clarification from home ministry over 1984 riots - Dec 15, 2009
- Police recorded 1984 witnesses' statements in unfair manner: CBI - Apr 09, 2012
Tags: ahmad, aicc, anti sikh riots, committee chief, congress candidates, constituencies, delhi pradesh congress committee, doing the rounds, east delhi, india congress committee, jagdish tytler, jai, legislator, media secretary, New Delhi, party leader, party president, replacements, sajjan kumar, south delhi