Congress to hold rally in ‘terror-tainted’ AzamgarhDecember 17th, 2008 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Dec 17 (IANS) The Congress party plans to hold a rally this week in Uttar Pradesh’s Azamgarh district, where a number of residents have been arrested for terrorist attacks and the Muslim community is complaining of victimisation.”Digvijay Singh, along with our state president Reeta Bahuguna Joshi and other leaders, will hold the rally in Azamgarh town on Dec 20,” state congress spokesperson A.P. Singh told IANS Wednesday.
Digvijay Singh is Uttar Pradesh Congress in-charge and former Madhya Pradesh chief minister.
This will be the second rally by any political party after two youths of Sanjarpur village, Sajid and Atif, were killed in a police shootout in new Delhi in September after their suspected involvement in the Sep 13 blasts in the national capital.
Over a dozen youths Azamgarh were also picked up by the police for their alleged involvement in serial blasts earlier this year in Ahmedabad, Jaipur and Bangalore.
On Oct 24, Samajwadi Party chief and former Uttar Pradesh chief minister Mulayam Singh Yadav and general secretary Amar Singh held a public rally in Daudpur village of Azamgarh, 270 km from here. The venue is close to Sanjarpur.
- Mulayam, Amar in Azamgarh as war for Muslim vote hots up - Oct 17, 2008
- Karkare arrested Hindu, Muslim terrorists: Digvijay Singh - Dec 20, 2008
- Security tightened in Azamgarh as Muslims vow to protest - Feb 03, 2010
- Conspiracy by communal parties to defame Azamgarh: Mulayam Singh (Lead) - Oct 17, 2008
- Muslim clerics to protest Congress leaders' Azamgarh visit - Feb 03, 2010
- Bad weather forces Mulayam to skip Azamgarh rally - Jan 01, 2012
- BJP accuses Congress leader of 'vote bank' politics - Feb 04, 2010
- House Full in Aligarh - thanks to Rahul - Jul 08, 2011
- Digvijay Singh briefs Sonia on Azamgarh visit - Feb 09, 2010
- Unite like farmers to topple government, Rahul tells Uttar Pradesh youth (Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Unite and fight for your rights, Rahul tells youth - Jul 22, 2011
- Ulema Council to hold rally in Lucknow - Feb 17, 2010
- Rahul to address rally in Bhatta Parsaul - Jun 07, 2011
- Digvijay Singh to go ahead with Azamgarh visit - Feb 03, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi invites weavers' team to Delhi - Jul 22, 2011