Congress to decide on speaker by SaturdayMay 28th, 2009 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 28 (IANS) The Congress leadership is likely to decide on the new speaker of the Lok Sabha by Saturday now that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s 78-member council of ministers has been sworn in, party sources said.
Five-time MP V. Kishore Chandra Deo of the Congress, which leads the United Progressive Alliance government at the centre, is believed to be the frontrunnner for the post. He won from the Araku tribal seat in Andhra Pradesh this time while in 2004 his constituency was Parvathipuram.
The 1947-born Deo, who hails from the Konda Dora tribal community, was union minister of state for steel, mines and coal in 1980. He has been on more than a dozen high level consultative committees of several ministries.
“No final decision has been taken on him, but he is a frontrunner. The name of Shivraj Patil is also being discussed since he has not been inducted into the council of ministers,” a Congress leader told IANS requesting anonymity. Patil had resigned as home minister in the wake of the 26/11 Mumbai terror strikes.
Somnath Chatterjee was the speaker in the 14th Lok Sabha.
By convention, the post of deputy speaker might go to the opposition. In the 14th Lok Sabha, Charanjit Singh Atwal of the Shiromani Akali Dal was deputy speaker. The Akali Dal is a partner in the Bharatiya Janata Party-led National Democratic Alliance.
BJP sources, however, said this time the party may make a claim for the post and the name of its leader Sumitra Mahajan is being considered for it.
However, Janata Dal-United (JD-U), another NDA ally, has floated the name of its Bihar unit chief Rajiv Ranjan Singh. It is unclear when the NDA partners will take a decision.
- Akali Dal releases second list of candidates - Dec 27, 2011
- Punjab assembly session begins Monday - Mar 18, 2012
- NDA defers decision on presidential polls (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Pranab miles ahead as NDA squabbles (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2012
- Congress ready for presidential contest - Jun 20, 2012
- Countdown begins, presidential poll on July 19 (Roundup) - Jun 12, 2012
- Jaswant files nomination for vice presidential poll (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Divided BJP discusses option of backing Sangma - Jun 17, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- India to elect new president Thursday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Patnaik accuses Pranab of buying support - Jul 02, 2012
- NDA reviews vice presidential poll strategy - Jul 24, 2012
- Ansari has edge over Jaswant Singh in vice presidential poll - Aug 06, 2012
- Pranab in Odisha to seek support - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: 14th lok sabha, alliance government, atwal, bharatiya janata party, congress leader, congress leadership, consultative committees, deputy speaker, home minister, konda, mahajan, manmohan singh, member council, national democratic alliance, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, ranjan, tribal community, unit chief