Congress terms Advani’s comments ‘frustrated outbursts’February 6th, 2011 - 11:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 6 (IANS) The Congress Saturday hit back at Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani’s criticism of the ruling party as a “family monopoly”, terming them as “frustrated outbursts” from a person who is now a “permanent prime minister in waiting”.Congress spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi said that Advani was doing all he could to remain in the news.
“These are the frustrated outbursts of the person, who has used the same allegations to make a bid for the prime minister’s office but has instead been reduced to the permanent position of PM in waiting,” said Singhvi.
In a post on his blog, Advani noted that even Mahatma Gandhi had only become Congress president at its 1924 annual session in Belgaum. “How much things have changed since! Nowadays, Party Presidentship seems to have become a family monopoly, and that too for life!” he wrote, referring to Sonia Gandhi being Congress president since 1998.
Singhvi said these allegations were repetitive. “Both the wine and bottle are old,” he said.
Noting the Congress had regular internal elections, he said: “Sonia Gandhi has been elected party president repeatedly in free and fair elections.”
- Advani on 'weak' PM: Just calling a spade a spade (Roundup) - Oct 21, 2011
- Singhvi quits as Congress spokesperson, parliamentary panel chief (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- CD row: Singhvi quits party, parliamentary posts (Roundup) - Apr 23, 2012
- Sonia thanks non-UPA parties for support to Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Congress renominates two ministers and Singhvi to Rajya Sabha - Mar 17, 2012
- Rahul ready for bigger role, to be No 2 in party (Night Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- BJP, Congress slugfest over PM remarks - Sep 28, 2011
- Congress plays down controversial 2G spectrum note - Sep 28, 2011
- Aggressive Sonia spurs Congress, forces Advani to retract (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Jethmalani triggers ruckus in Lokpal debate - Dec 29, 2011
- Sangma meets Advani, seeks support for presidential poll - Jun 08, 2012
- Blackmail is bread and butter of BJP, says Sonia (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- PM's post should not become fiefdom of a family : Advani - Jun 26, 2011
- Sonia defends PM, stresses Congress unity (Second Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi may be Congress working president soon - Nov 05, 2011
Tags: abhishek, allegations, belgaum, blog, congress president, internal elections, janata party, l k advani, mahatma gandhi, monopoly, New Delhi, party president, prime minister, ruling party, sonia gandhi, spokesperson, wine