Congress-sponsored strike affects life in TripuraDecember 17th, 2008 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Dec 17 (IANS) Normal life in Tripura was paralysed Wednesday with the opposition Congress enforcing a dawn-to-dusk shutdown, to press its demand for expulling two Left party legislators.Most shops and businesses, government and semi-government offices and educational institutions remained closed, while traffic was thin. “The shutdown was total and successful,” said Congress party spokesman Tapas Dey.
The police arrested about 1,000 Congress supporters who tried to enforce the strike from various parts of the state, said police spokesman Nepal Das. Five Congress workers were injured in clashes with the ruling Left party activists, who opposed the shutdown.
The strike was called demanding the arrest of Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) legislator and former minister Sahid Choudhury for his alleged links with the outlawed Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami (HuJI) activist Mamun Mian of Bangladesh.
The opposition party also sought the disqualification of Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP) lawmaker Partha Das from the state assembly for possessing a fake Scheduled Caste certificate.
In March, Mamun Mian, a Bangladesh national, was arrested by West Bengal police from Agartala, following which Choudhury, then Tripura food minister, was forced to resign.
Terming the Congress’ allegation as “baseless and unjustified,” Left Front spokesman Gautam Das said: “Both Sahid Chowdhury and Partha Das’s cases are now under investigation and hence sub-judice.”
- Congress backed strike cripples life in Tripura - May 23, 2011
- Congress-sponsored strike paralyzes life in Tripura partially - Dec 17, 2008
- Uproar cuts short Tripura governor's address - Feb 24, 2012
- Tripura legislator accused of faking caste certificate - Aug 09, 2012
- Minister reinducted in Tripura amidst controversy - Feb 12, 2012
- 12-hour strike cripples life in Tripura - Apr 27, 2010
- Life in Tripura crippled as Left, Congress call shut-down - Jul 13, 2011
- Tripura Left Front ministry to be expanded Sunday - Feb 10, 2012
- One killed, 41 injured in Tripura clash - Jul 11, 2011
- 12-hour shutdown cripples life in Tripura - Jul 13, 2012
- Student's clash: Congress calls strike in Tripura - May 22, 2011
- Youth Congress stir against joblessness in Tripura - Feb 15, 2012
- Tripura lawmaker nailed for false Scheduled Caste tag - Aug 07, 2012
- Ruling Marxists call strike against fuel hike in Tripura - Jun 28, 2010
- Tripura CPI-M protests Bengal murders - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress supporters, congress workers, dawn to dusk, harkat ul, opposition congress, party spokesman, revolutionary socialist party, west bengal police