Congress ’sorry’ for the Babri Masjid demolitionMarch 7th, 2009 - 11:27 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 7 (IANS) Congress leader Digvijay Singh Saturday apologised for the demolition of the Babri Masjid in 1992 when the party was in power at the national level.
“We would once again like to say sorry to the nation for the demolition of the Babri Masjid as at that time the P.V. Narasimha Rao led-Congress was in power.
“We would also like to clarify that we will not have any kind of association with (former Bharatiya Janata Party leader) Kalyan Singh who was the chief minister of Uttar Pradesh when the (mosque) was demolished,” Singh said.
Singh, Congress general secretary and in-charge of party affairs in Uttar Pradesh, was here to flag off and address a rally organised by the minority cell of the party to press the Uttar Pradesh government for utilising the funds allocated by the central government for several schemes for the minorities.
Earlier in the day, he said the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) government in the state had a lethargic attitude in implementing central government schemes.
“The central government had sanctioned Rs.1,300 crore (Rs.13 billion) to the state government for various schemes for the minorities. However, the fund has yet not been utilised and will lapse on March 31,” Singh said.
- Absurd to suggest Narasimha Rao was indifferent to Babri razing: Naresh Chandra - Jul 11, 2012
- Congress book blames Sangh parivar for Babri demolition, defends Rao - Dec 30, 2010
- Factsheet: Timeline of the Ayodhya Dispute - May 09, 2011
- I'll answer every question on Liberhan report: Kalyan Singh - Jul 02, 2009
- All eyes on Muslim vote in Uttar Pradesh (UP Newsletter) - Jan 22, 2012
- Supreme Court issues notice to Advani and others in Babri Masjid demolition case - Mar 04, 2011
- Mosque demolition: CBI challenges Advani clean-chit (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Narasimha Rao was denied Lok Sabha ticket over Babri demolition: Congress - Dec 07, 2009
- BJP fully responsible for Babri mosque demolition: Chidambaram (Lead) - Dec 08, 2009
- Someone must be responsible for Babri mosque demolition, says Chidambaram - Dec 08, 2009
- Congress ignores Mani Shankar Aiyar's comments - Jul 26, 2011
- Babri demolition, BSP alliance Congress's mistakes: Digvijay - Jun 25, 2011
- Table Liberhan report in parliament: Babri Masjid Action Committee - Jun 30, 2009
- Congress says Babri razing was 'cold-blooded conspiracy' - Dec 09, 2009
- Mosque demolition: Clean-chit for Advani challenged by CBI - Feb 18, 2011
Tags: apologised, babri masjid, bahujan samaj party, bharatiya janata party, central government, chief minister, congress leader, demolition, digvijay singh, general secretary, government schemes, kalyan singh, minorities, mosque, p v narasimha rao, party affairs, party leader, rally, state government, uttar pradesh government