Congress slams Mayawati for inaction in rape casesJune 20th, 2011 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 20 (IANS) The Congress Monday slammed the Uttar Pradesh government for its “lack of seriousness” in dealing with the recent incidents of rape and said Chief Minister Mayawati will cease to have the “moral authority” to continue in office if stern action is not taken against the culprits soon.
“The state government and the chief minister are not showing even an iota of seriousness,” Congress spokesperson Jayanthi Natarajan said at a media briefing at the party headquarters here. “There is total lack of seriousness,” she added.
She quoted media reports as saying there had been six incidents of rape in the state in the past two days.
“The chief minister should ensure that action is taken and speedy justice is delivered in the cases,” Natarajan demanded. She pointed out that many of the victims were from the disadvantaged sections.
“Otherwise, she will cease to have the moral authority to continue in office,” Natarajan added.
- Mayawati wants stringent laws against rape - Jun 21, 2011
- Natarajan suspends green clearances to all 93 Goa mines - Sep 12, 2012
- Opposition disrupts Tripura assembly over rape incident - Mar 22, 2012
- Action against A. Raja is PM's prerogative: Congress - Nov 09, 2010
- Mayawati expels party legislator for attempt to rape - Jun 24, 2011
- Countries struggle to reach deal at Durban (Lead) - Dec 08, 2011
- Jayanthi returns to union ministry after a decade - Jul 12, 2011
- Should I shoot my officers for doing wrong, asks Natarajan - Sep 12, 2012
- Rs.896 crore spent on cleaning Ganga - Aug 30, 2011
- Congress refuses to back Rita Bahuguna Joshi on Bhushans - Apr 20, 2011
- Charge-sheet filed against BSP MLA in Banda rape case - Jan 20, 2011
- Opposition flays Mayawati for 'breakdown of law and order' - Jun 20, 2011
- Rahul future leader, Manmohan to remain PM: Congress - Jun 20, 2011
- Congress wishes 'best' to Jayalalithaa on poll victory - May 13, 2011
- Mayawati expels legislator for rape attempt (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,