Congress slams BJP Karnataka government for Mangalore assaultJuly 31st, 2012 - 12:45 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 30 (IANS) The Congress Monday slammed the BJP government in Karanataka over assault on students by a Hindu group activists, saying that such incidents had taken place in the state as the perpetrators feel that there is conducive environment for obscurantism to flourish.
Party spokepeman Manish Tewari said intolerance and violence has been on the rise since the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government came to office in Karnataka in 2008.
Condemning the attack, he said there had been several similar incidents in the past which reflect a “very medieval and the reactionary mindset” of those who are in power in Karnataka.
“While the government in Bangalore might shed crocodile tears and make sanctimonious promises about bringing the guilty to book, the incontrovertible fact remains that all these incidents have taken place primarily because the perpetrators feel that there is a conducive environment which allows this obscurantism to flourish,” Tewari said.
He hoped that the people of Karnataka will stand up “against such elements and their patrons and give them a befitting reply in the times to come”.
Karnataka Police Monday arrested four more people in connection with the alleged assault by Hindu Jagran Vedika activists on college-going boys and girls partying Saturday at a home-stay in Mangalore, about 350 km from Bangalore. Eight activists were arrested Sunday.
- Four more held for moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 30, 2012
- Protests against moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 29, 2012
- Girls thrashed at Karnataka's Mangalore for partying - Jul 28, 2012
- Eight arrested for moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 29, 2012
- Shettar passes first hurdle, bigger battles ahead (Karnataka Newsletter) - Aug 03, 2012
- BJP minister found watching porn in Karnataka assembly (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Blackmail is bread and butter of BJP, says Sonia (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- BJP ministers watch porn in Karnataka assembly; face sack (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Congress to hit streets against BJP - Aug 28, 2012
- Crimes in Bangalore, Mangalore worrisome, says chief minister - Aug 15, 2012
- Shoe attack pre-planned, shows RSS, BJP's desperation: Congress (Third Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Fruits of illegal mining reached BJP's top echelons: Congress (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Congress snubs Yeddyurappa over Sonia praise (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Eight held for moral policing in Karnataka (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 29, 2012
- Congress silent on BJP demand for Bhardwaj's ouster - May 18, 2011
Tags: activists, alleged assault, bharatiya janata party, bjp government, boys and girls, conducive environment, crocodile, crocodile tears, hindu group, home stay, incontrovertible fact, jagran, karanataka, mindset, obscurantism, patrons, perpetrators, slams, tewari, vedika