Congress shutdown hits life in OdishaSeptember 10th, 2012 - 11:29 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 10 (IANS) Public transport was hit in Odisha Monday and trains stranded as the opposition Congress called for a dawn-to-dusk shutdown to protest police excesses on its workers during a party rally here last week, officials said.
Public transport was badly affected in several towns as many buses and taxis went off the roads. Trains were stranded at different railway stations as Congress workers squatted on railway tracks.
In the state capital Bhubaneswar, workers of the state’s main opposition party gathered near bus stands, railway stations and government and private offices and picketed them.
Around 20 Congress workers have already been taken into custody as a preventive measure in Bhubaneswar, deputy commissioner of police Nitinjit Singh told reporters.
At least 100 people, including protestors and several policemen, were injured Thursday when the rally by the Congress against the Naveen Patnaik-led government turned violent.
Police used water cannons, lobbed teargas shells and used canes to disperse the irate crowd after the rallyists allegedly stormed the barricade and attacked police personnel.
While police said it used force after the crowd indulged in vandalism outside the assembly, the Congress accused police of using force without provocation.
Police have arrested 38 people for the violence Thursday.
- Congress shutdown paralyses life in Odisha (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- 33 held for violence during Congress rally (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Photos of suspects in Odisha violence released - Sep 13, 2012
- Congress calls for shutdown in Odisha - Sep 07, 2012
- Several hurt as Odisha Congress protest turns violent - Sep 06, 2012
- Several hurt as Odisha Congress protest turns violent (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Complete shutdown observed in Odisha (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Attack on woman cop during Odisha rally triggers outrage - Sep 07, 2012
- Shutdown cripples life in Odisha - Sep 20, 2012
- Jagdish Tytler, others booked for Odisha rally violence - Sep 08, 2012
- Hundreds court arrest in Orissa (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Shutdown cripples life in Odisha (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- West Bengal paralysed due to shutdown - Sep 20, 2012
- Congress ally's shutdown fails to impact life in West Bengal - Nov 24, 2009
- Trade union strike: Normal life hit in Odisha - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: barricade, bhubaneswar, commissioner of police, congress workers, dawn to dusk, deputy commissioner, main opposition party, naveen patnaik, opposition congress, party rally, police excesses, policemen, preventive measure, private offices, protestors, provocation, public transport, railway stations, vandalism, water cannons