Congress rule has only brought insult to Hindus: Ashok SinghalApril 24th, 2009 - 6:33 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, April 24 (IANS) Ashok Singhal, senior functionary of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP), Friday said that decades of Congress rule in the country had only brought “insult” for Hindus and urged people to vote in a government that can “protect the interest” of the majority community.
Addressing reporters here, Singhal, VHP international president, attacked the Congress party for its affidavit filed in the Supreme Court in 2007 denying the existence of Hindu god Ram. The government affidavit had said epics were not historical records that could prove the existence of Lord Ram.
He also compared the Congress party to jihadis. “Just like the jihadis, now the Congress party has decided to demolish the Ram Setu (in the country’s southern coastal waters) to construct a shipping channel,” he said.
“The testimony to the insult (to Hindus) is the neglect of the Ram Janmabhoomi issue in Ayodhya by the Congress government. The Ram temple is yet to be constructed in Lord Ram’s birthplace,” he said.
“It seems that the Congress party is bent upon weakening the Hindus by following divisive politics in the country. The country must elect a government which can protect the interest of the Hindus,” he said.
Singhal said the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has promised to protect the Ram Setu from being destroyed “as per the plans of the Congress government”.
However, asked to comment on the temple-razing drive undertaken by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi in Gandhinagar last year as part of an anti-encroachment drive, Singhal said: “The Gujarat chief minister has promised to provide separate land to the trusts whose temples were destroyed in the drive.”
- Advani rakes up Ram temple issue - Sep 09, 2012
- Ram temple, Hindu terror, Brahmaputra dam top VHP meet agenda(Lead) - Jan 07, 2011
- Sonia creating Hindu terror bogey: Singhal - Jan 07, 2011
- Parliament must empower Ram temple construction: VHP - Jan 09, 2011
- BJP again takes Ayodhya issue to high pitch - Sep 05, 2010
- VHP not ready to give away any part of Ayodhya land - Oct 20, 2010
- Narasimha Rao had key role in Ayodhya temple construction: Singhal - Aug 11, 2010
- VHP President Singhal charges Sonia Gandhi of spoiling Hindu culture - Dec 25, 2010
- Restrain cadres on Ayodhya issue, Digvijay Singh urges BJP - Sep 28, 2010
- VHP plans '90s like agitation for Ram temple, says Togadia - Jan 07, 2011
- 19 years after Babri demolition, Ram temple on backburner? - Dec 05, 2011
- VHP satisfied with BJP's election manifesto - May 01, 2009
- Factsheet: Timeline of the Ayodhya Dispute - May 09, 2011
- Shutdown in Bodh Gaya against anti-encroachment drive - Aug 08, 2011
- Ram Mandir fight to go online - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: ashok singhal, ayodhya, bharatiya janata party, chief minister, congress government, congress party, encroachment, hindu god, hindus, international president, lord ram, majority community, narendra modi, ram janmabhoomi, ram setu, ram temple, shipping channel, southern coastal waters, vhp, vishwa hindu parishad