Congress releases candidates list for MCD pollsMarch 25th, 2012 - 11:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 25 (IANS) The Congress Sunday released the list of candidates for elections to the trifurcated Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) which are scheduled to be held April 15.
After a day-long meeting, where Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee chief Jai Prakash Agarwal were present, the party released the list of candidates for 263 of the 272 wards under the three corporations carved out of the MCD.
The names for rest of the nine wards were not finalised yet.
According to sources in the Congress, the eleventh hour announcement of the list of candidates was a move to cull the dissidence from those who have been deprived of the party ticket.
The last day for filing nominations is Monday (March 26).
Ballots will be cast April 15 for the MCD which was trifurcated with the hope that the civic agency, which was earlier a single humongous body, would function efficiently.
While the corporations of north and south Delhi will each have 104 wards, there will be 64 wards in east Delhi. Close to one crore voters will cast their votes to select municipal councillors.
- MCD polls: BJP candidates rush to file papers, anger among workers - Mar 26, 2012
- MCD elections: Congress rubbishes BJP attack - Apr 04, 2012
- Ahead of Delhi civic polls, Gadkari attacks Congress - Apr 03, 2012
- Delhi Police geared up for Sunday's civic polls (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Delhi civic polls: BJP headed for win (Third Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Delhi votes for three new civic bodies Sunday - Apr 14, 2012
- Civic polls: Did trifurcation move boomerang? - Apr 17, 2012
- Citizen's charter among Congress promises for MCD polls - Apr 07, 2012
- Civic elections: Delhi poll panel hopes for high turnout - Apr 09, 2012
- MCD campaign: BJP banks on stars, Congress on ministers - Apr 07, 2012
- Half of MCD wards go to women, male politicians jittery - Jan 28, 2012
- MCD elections: Congress to come up with three manifestos - Mar 19, 2012
- Delhi votes to pick trifurcated civic body (Fourth Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Delhi civic polls on April 15 (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Defeat in Delhi civic polls a wake up call to Dikshit - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: ballots, chief minister, committee chief, congress releases, crore, delhi pradesh congress committee, dissidence, east delhi, eleventh hour, jai, march 25, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, municipal councillors, New Delhi, party ticket, prakash agarwal, sheila dikshit, south delhi, wards