Congress readies to pick presidential candidateMay 30th, 2012 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 30 (IANS) The Congress Working Committee (CWC) will meet here June 4, apparently to accelerate the process of selecting a candidate for the presidential polls.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi is also likely to have consultations with her party’s allies on the issue, party sources said Wednesday.
The sources said a decision on the presidential candidate could be taken before the Election Commission issues a notification for presidential polls by the middle of June.
The two names doing the rounds in Congress circles are Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Vice President Hamid Ansari.
“Whatever the decision, it will have to be taken after taking him (Mukherjee) into confidence,” a party leader who spoke on the condition of anonymity told IANS.
He said the party will also have some explaining to do to if Ansari is not chosen for the post as it is the normal practice to elevate the vice president to Rashtrapati Bhavan.
“There is also a possibility of a dark horse emerging,” the leader added.
Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee is backing Lok Sabha speaker Meira Kumar for presidency.
Congress has already held discussions with its allies in the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) on a presidential candidate.
Party sources said another round will be held in the coming days. Parties supporting the government from outside will also be consulted.
- Congress top brass meets, presidential nominee likely next week - Jun 08, 2012
- CWC likely to ask Sonia to choose presidential nominee (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- CWC meet June 4 to discuss presidential poll, price rice - May 29, 2012
- CWC to meet Monday to bolster party's fortunes - Jun 03, 2012
- Sonia to select Congress presidential candidate - Jun 04, 2012
- India's next president: still mired in uncertainty (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- Presidential poll: Congress' prospects brighten, Pranab leads race - May 06, 2012
- Congress seems ahead in presidential sweepstakes, BJP stuck - May 03, 2012
- Sonia has hectic day over presidential poll talks (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Speculation on Pranab's candidature grows after Bengal leader's pitch (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Presidential poll: No name finalised, says Congress - Jun 09, 2012
- BJP wants Congress to react, NDA meet unlikely before Saturday (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Jaswant Singh meets Mulayam Singh Yadav - Jun 12, 2012
- Patience, says Congress, amid presidential suspense (Roundup) - May 04, 2012
Tags: anonymity, congress president sonia gandhi, congress working committee, cwc, dark horse, doing the rounds, election commission, finance minister, hamid ansari, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, meira kumar, party leader, party sources, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, presidential polls, progressive alliance, trinamool congress chief, UPA