Congress presents proof against Achuthanandan’s sonFebruary 24th, 2011 - 4:50 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Feb 24 (IANS) Kerala’s Congress-led opposition Thursday took up Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan’s challenge and presented a book which reportedly shows his son V. Arunkumar asking for a bribe to allow a power project to be set up in the state.It was late Wednesday after a cabinet meeting that Achuthanandan dared the opposition to stop levelling allegations against his son and present proofs.
Addressing reporters here Thursday, Congress legislator V.D. Satheesan said that according to a book written by late technocrat K.P.P. Nambiar, Arunkumar had asked him for a bribe to see that then proposed Kannur Power Project got going.
Satheesan said that the copies of the book, which was released a few years back, were burned, but he still retained a copy.
“Arunkumar works as joint director with the state run Institute of Human Resources Development here and we wish to know how many times has Arunkumar made foreign trips in the past few years. Once he asked me to spare him because he is a poor government official’. We know where all he has been and if he has the guts, let him reveal the names of those who were with him in the foreign jaunts.
“Moreover, yesterday he said that his visits were not official. If so, where did he get that much money to go for these foreign trips,” asked Satheesan.
Satheesan also asked Achuthanandan why was his son present when Infosys signed a land deal with the Kerala government for setting up their campus.
“The pictures that came in newspapers then showed the presence of Arunkumar. Also, when officials from Smart City Dubai arrived here for the first time after the Left government assumed office, Arunkumar was present to receive them. We wish to know how come Arunkumar was present, because he has no role in this department nor the affairs of the government,” added Satheesan.
Thursday was the last day of the current session of the state assembly, whose term ends in May.
- Kerala opposition to seek governor's intervention - Feb 25, 2011
- Lok Ayukta to probe allegations against Achuthanandan's son - Mar 10, 2011
- Achuthanandan defends son, asks for CBI probe - Feb 26, 2011
- Achuthanandan ordered Lok Ayukta probe to protect son: Chandy - Jul 15, 2011
- Petition of Achuthanandan's son against probe dismissed - Jun 23, 2011
- Lok Ayukta cannot probe Achuthanandan's son: Chandy - Apr 19, 2011
- Chandy writes to Achuthanandan on probe against son (Lead) - Mar 02, 2011
- Achuthanandan appears before panel over son's appointment - Feb 14, 2012
- Kerala panel indicts Achuthanandan for favouring son - Mar 08, 2012
- Achuthanandan to be summoned over son's appointment - Aug 25, 2011
- Chandy writes to Achuthanandan demanding probe - Mar 02, 2011
- Achuthanandan meeting 'dubious' character raises eyebrows - Oct 23, 2011
- Publish passport details of son, Chandy tells Achuthanandan - Mar 28, 2011
- Achuthanandan denies appointing son to crucial post - Jul 13, 2011
- Probe ordered into appointment of Achuthanandan's son (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
Tags: allegations, bribe, cabinet meeting, chief minister, congress, government official, guts, human resources development, jaunts, kerala government, legislator, nambiar, opposition, poor government, proofs, smart city, state assembly, technocrat, thiruvananthapuram, v s achuthanandan