Congress played politics over Bihar floods: Nitish KumarMay 11th, 2009 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, May 11 (IANS) Hitting out at the Congress, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, a key ally of the opposition National Democratic Alliance (NDA), Monday accused the party of playing politics over last year’s devastating floods in the state.
“The centre had given immediate relief of Rs.1,000 crore (Rs.10 billion) when the Kosi floods devastated Bihar. Later, the central government sent a letter that you (Bihar) have enough money for the relief work so now return the Rs.1,000 crore,” Kumar told reporters here.
“People have seen the Kosi tragedy with their eyes, and asking back the relief money is injustice. We had asked for a Rs.14,800 crore package for rehabilitation but were granted only Rs.1,000 crore,” Kumar added.
The surging waters of the Kosi had flooded hundreds of villages in the state, leaving millions homeless.
- Manmohan Singh calls Nitish on Kosi relief funds - May 12, 2009
- PM calls Nitish after questioning his secular credentials - May 12, 2009
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- World Bank chief to sign pact for rebuilding flood-hit Bihar - Jan 11, 2011
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- UPA Govt. at Centre has doubled Bihar's allocation: Congress - Aug 20, 2010
- Kosi gets a bridge - after 78 years - Feb 08, 2012
- NDA constituents petrified by Modi's shadow: Congress - Jun 19, 2010
- Floods render thousands homeless in Bihar - Aug 21, 2011
- Angry Nitish returns flood relief money to Gujarat - Jun 19, 2010
- World Bank gives $220 mn aid to flood-hit Bihar (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Bihar demands Rs 14800 crore for Kosi belt rehabilitation - Nov 21, 2009
- Bihar returns Gujarat's donation for Kosi flood relief - Jun 19, 2010
- Petition seeks action against Nitish on flood funds - Jun 21, 2010
- BJP, JD-U widening rift threatens Bihar alliance (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2010
Tags: ally, central government, chief minister, congress, crore, enough money, floods, injustice, national democratic alliance, nda, nitish kumar, opposition, patna, playing politics, relief money, rs 1, tragedy