Congress not serious about Muslims’ welfare: Azam KhanAugust 12th, 2012 - 12:41 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 11 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh Urban Development Minister and Samajwadi Party leader Mohammad Azam Khan Saturday launched a scathing attack on the Congress, saying it was only using Muslims as a vote-bank and was never serious about their welfare and development.
“A party which amended the constitution for Dalit reservation has failed to act on giving job reservations to Muslims… the Congress had been completely exposed on its fake stand on minority,” he said.
If the Congress does not wake up now, people of the minority community will ensure that the party is booted out of power at the centre in 2014, he warned.
Taking a leaf out of the Sachar Committee recommendations, Khan highlighted how the committee, in its report, had recorded that the state of Muslims was in far bad shape than the Dalits.
In such a situation, the Congress should have stepped forward and taken cudgels on behalf of Muslims, he said.
Noting that his Samajwadi Party was in favour of reservations for Muslims in jobs, Azam Khan also questioned why did the Congress not offer to amend the constitution after the Supreme Court raised its objections on the proposed quota for minorities in jobs mooted by the central government.
- Congress was never serious about Muslim quota: Azam Khan - Jun 14, 2012
- All eyes on Muslim vote in Uttar Pradesh (UP Newsletter) - Jan 22, 2012
- Ambitious plans for Muslims ahead of Tripura polls - Feb 29, 2012
- Why quotas for only OBC Muslims, asks community - Dec 02, 2011
- MIM wants immediate steps for reservations for Muslims - Sep 25, 2011
- Mayawati seeks reservation for Muslims - Sep 18, 2011
- Quota row: Poll panel notice to Khurshid on BJP's complaint (Night Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- BJP moves EC over Khurshid's remarks on Muslim quota (Evening Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Sack Khurshid, BJP again says - Feb 13, 2012
- SC order against promotion quotas rocks Lok Sabha - Aug 09, 2012
- Court quashes 4.5 percent sub-quota for minorities (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- SC to hear Monday government plea on minorities' sub-quota - Jun 09, 2012
- PM calls all-party meet May 23 over job quota - May 18, 2012
- BJP for Khurshid's removal, Congress reaction mixed (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Schemes changing situation of minorities: PM - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: azam khan, bad shape, central government, committee recommendations, cudgels, dalits, development minister, lucknow, minorities, minority community, mohammad, muslims, objections, party leader, quota, Samajwadi Party, scathing attack, urban development, uttar pradesh, vote bank