Congress names Jairam Ramesh for Rajya Sabha poll (Lead)June 3rd, 2010 - 11:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 3 (IANS) The Congress Thursday named Minister of State for Environment Jairam Ramesh as one of the party’s four nominees from Andhra Pradesh for the upcoming Rajya Sabha elections.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi also approved names of three others - N. Janaradhana Reddy, V. Hanumantha Rao, and J.D. Seelam - for the biennial Rajya Sabha election from the state, a party release said here.
The nomination puts an end to speculation whether the minister would be re-nominated to the upper house for taking on Home Minister P. Chidambaram on restrictions on granting visas to Chinese engineers.
Ramesh came under fire from the Congress high command and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last month for calling the home ministry “alarmist and paranoid” towards China, a comment that prompted Chidambaram to write a strongly-worded note to the prime minister.
Ramesh made the remark while attending a global meet on climate change in Beijing.
Manmohan Singh had sought an explanation from the minister but asked him to stay on. The prime minister also advised him not to speak out against other ministries.
The party president also rejected demand by a section of Congress leaders from Andhra Pradesh that the leaders from outside the state should not be nominated. Ramesh belongs to neighbouring Karnataka.
Ramesh’s anti-Telangana stand had also angered Congress leaders from that region.
- Congress names Jairam Ramesh for Rajya Sabha poll - Jun 03, 2010
- Ramesh told not to exceed his brief, won't resign for now: Sources - May 13, 2010
- Ramesh, five others set to be elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha - Jun 05, 2010
- Ramesh, Janardhan Reddy file papers for Rajya Sabha polls - Jun 04, 2010
- Congress announces Andhra candidates for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- Jairam Ramesh, five others elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha - Jun 07, 2010
- Congress refuses to comment on Ramesh's note to PM, Sonia - May 11, 2010
- Maharashtra readies for Rajya Sabha race - Mar 05, 2012
- Congress renominates Ambika Soni, Mohsina Kidwai for Rajya Sabha polls - Jun 04, 2010
- PM asks Ramesh to stay, Congress says chapter closed (Roundup) - May 14, 2010
- Jairam's Beijing remarks 'not at all appropriate': Congress - May 10, 2010
- Congress renominates two ministers and Singhvi to Rajya Sabha - Mar 17, 2012
- TDP's Devender Goud, Ramesh file papers for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- Chiranjeevi, Renuka, four others file papers for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- Parties war with one another over parliamentary disruptions - Aug 10, 2011
Tags: chinese engineers, climate change, congress leaders, congress president sonia gandhi, home minister, home ministry, june 3, manmohan, manmohan singh, minister of state, New Delhi, p chidambaram, party president, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, rao, sabha elections, upper house, visas