Congress names Azad and Soz for Rajya Sabha from KashmirFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 11:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 2 (IANS) The Congress party Monday approved the candidature of Saifuddin Soz and Ghulam Nabi Azad for the biennial elections to the Rajya Sabha from Jammu and Kashmir.“Congress president Sonia Gandhi has approved the candidates for the biennial elections to the Rajya Sabha from Jammu and Kashmir, Saifuddin Soz and Ghulam Nabi Azad,” said a statement issued here.
Azad was union parliamentary affairs minister in the government of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh until 2005, when he was appointed chief minister of Jammu and Kashmir.
Soz, formerly with the National Conference, joined the Congress party in 2003 and was elected to the Rajya Sabha in 2004. In January 2006, he was inducted into the ministry as Minister of Water Resources.
- Congress factions may reconcile in Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 16, 2011
- Factionalism in Kashmir Congress as Sonia visits - May 23, 2011
- Ghulam Nabi Azad and Saifuddin Soz elected for Rajya Sabha - Feb 06, 2009
- Congress renominates two ministers and Singhvi to Rajya Sabha - Mar 17, 2012
- Omar faces criticism from allies, opposition alike - Mar 26, 2012
- Azad, Soz elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha from Kashmir - Feb 06, 2009
- Rotational chief minister decision upto 'high command': Soz - Dec 17, 2011
- Kashmir Congress infighting reaches new high (Kashmir Newsletter) - Feb 03, 2012
- Soz waiting and watching for Delhi call - May 24, 2009
- Azad, Soz take oath as Rajya Sabha members - Feb 16, 2009
- Congress lambasts Omar for acting in 'arbitrary manner' - Oct 27, 2011
- Consensus on AFSPA unlikely at all-party meeting - Sep 15, 2010
- Malhotra recommended for post of Kashmir council acting chairman - Oct 15, 2011
- Pranab likely to lead all-party team to Kashmir - Sep 17, 2010
- Soz may be replaced as Pradesh Congress chief - Sep 13, 2010
Tags: affairs minister, candidature, chief minister, congress party, congress president sonia gandhi, elections, feb 2, ghulam nabi azad, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, parliamentary affairs, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, soz, water resources