Congress MPs from northeast meet SoniaAugust 16th, 2012 - 6:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 16 (IANS) Congress MPs from the northeast Thursday met party chief Sonia Gandhi to apprise her of their concern about exodus of people of the region from Bangalore and some other parts of the country following rumours about threat to their safety.
The MPs, who also met Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, demanded steps to ensure safety of people from the region.
The move came as over 5,000 northeastern students from Bangalore fled to Guwahati by special trains late Wednesday and early Thursday following rumours that they would be attacked to avenge the ethnic violence in Assam.
The delegation included MPs from several north eastern states, including Assam, Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh. Minister of State for Development of Northeastern Region Paban Singh Ghatowar was among the MPs who met Gandhi.
They told Gandhi that panic had gripped the people from the northeast in some cities following rumours about possible attacks on them. An MP, who was part of the delegation, told IANS that Gandhi shared their concern and said vested interests were spreading rumours.
Gandhi also told them that she had spoken to Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy to ensure that all steps were taken for the safety of people from the northeast, living in the state.
Shinde told the MPs that all steps will be taken to ensure security of people from the region.
The Congress MPs from the northeast are also likely to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
- Government says northeast people safe in Karnataka (Second Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- PM asks states to maintain peace (Third Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Panic subsides in Karnataka, people flee Maharashtra (Roundup) - Aug 16, 2012
- PM speaks to Karnataka CM - Aug 16, 2012
- Panic subsides in Karnataka, people flee Maharashtra (Intro-Roundup) - Aug 17, 2012
- Northeast people safe in Karnataka: Government (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- As exodus continues, bulk SMSes banned; parliament unites in support (Roundup) - Aug 17, 2012
- NE states ask governments to ensure safety of their people - Aug 18, 2012
- People from northeast safe in Karnataka: Shinde - Aug 16, 2012
- Assam violence not Hindu-Muslim clash: Minister for Northeast (Interview) - Aug 20, 2012
- India raises social media misuse with Pakistan, situation normal in south (Roundup) - Aug 19, 2012
- Northeast exodus: Pakistan asks India to provide evidence - Aug 20, 2012
- Five held in Karnataka for spreading rumours: Shettar (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Northeast exodus unites parties, PM assures safety (Third Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Assam ministers rush to Bangalore, Hyderabad - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: arunachal pradesh, assam, chief minister, congress mps, eastern states, ethnic violence, home minister, kiran kumar, manmohan, manmohan singh, meghalaya, minister of state, northeastern region, northeastern students, party chief, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rumours, sonia gandhi, sushilkumar shinde