Congress MPs from Andhra oppose divisionAugust 28th, 2012 - 12:50 am ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 27 (IANS) Congress MPs from Andhra and Rayalaseema regions of Andhra Pradesh Monday urged the UPA government to keep the state united.
At a meeting held at the residence of Kavuri Samba Siva Rao in New Delhi Monday night, the MPs urged that the Congress-led government to make a clear announcement in favour of united Andhra Pradesh, against the backdrop of a demand by some people to carve out a separate state of Telangana.
Nine MPs attended the meeting which assumed significance in view of the indications that the central government would soon announce its stand on the demand for statehood to the Telangana region of the state.
Samba Siva Rao told reporters after the meeting that they would meet the central leaders, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, to stress the need to keep the state united.
“The bifurcation of the state is not good for the state and the country. If the state is to progress and develop, it should remain united. There should be no delay in making a clear announcement,” he said.
Another MP Anantha Venkatarami Reddy said they would urge the central leaders to reject all the proposals made for dividing the state. He said the proposals were mooted by some leaders with vested interests.
K.V.P. Ramachandra Rao, L. Rajagopal and Botsa Jhansi were among the MPs who attended the meeting.
K. Chandrasekhara Rao, leader of Telangana Rashtra Samithi, which is leading a movement for a separate Telangana state, and some Congress MPs from Telangana recently claimed to have received indications that the centre would take a clear stand for the formation of Telangana state.
- Andhra minister quits over Telangana issue - Mar 03, 2011
- Andhra minister quits over Telangana issue (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- Telangana leaders rule out withdrawing resignations - Jul 18, 2011
- Telangana Congress MPs extend deadline on separate state - Jun 01, 2011
- Botsa Satyanarayana is new Andhra Congress chief (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Telangana demand picks up momentum again - Sep 05, 2012
- Telangana Congress lawmakers firm on resignations - Jul 02, 2011
- Telangana Congress leaders launch 48-hour fast - Jul 13, 2011
- Three legislators quit Congress, join TRS - Oct 30, 2011
- Congress' Telangana MPs refuse to withdraw resignations - Jul 31, 2011
- Congress' Andhra MPs' forum convenor quits over Telangana - Jun 18, 2011
- PM's statement shocked Telangana people, says Congress MP - Nov 13, 2011
- TDP legislator warns of suicide attacks to keep Andhra united - Jul 20, 2011
- Sonia meets Congress' Andhra MPs on Telangana issue (Lead) - Dec 10, 2009
- Congress leader continues fast for Telangana - Nov 08, 2011
Tags: anantha, andhra pradesh, backdrop, bifurcation, central government, central leaders, congress mps, favour, jhansi, manmohan, manmohan singh, monday night, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajagopal, ramachandra rao, samba, siva, statehood