Congress MP uses dialogue to describe Parrikar’s work ethicAugust 11th, 2012 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 11 (IANS) A Congress MP Saturday used a dialogue from the iconic film ‘Sholay’ to describe what he believed was the work ethic of the 12-member Goa cabinet, led by Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar.
Addressing a press conference in Panaji, Goa’s lone MP in the Rajya Sabha, Shantaram Naik said that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led coalition government was a “one man” operation with the chief minister “controlling” all decisions.
“It is like the attitude of Gabbar Singh from ‘Sholay’. At every stage we get reminded of ‘kitne admi the’ (how many persons were there?). In essence there is only one, Parrikar. The other ministers don’t mean anything,” Naik said, referring to the Ramesh Sippy blockbuster of the 1970s.
“Institutions are being destroyed in Goa and those who do not toe the line, whether they be members of panchayats, municipalities, cooperative institutions, sports bodies, are shown the door,” Naik said at a media briefing.
“I hope the government does not impose conditions on the beneficiaries of ‘Laadli Laxmi’ that they will get the assistance only if they take the grooms chosen by BJP,” Naik quipped.
The MP was referring to the scheme floated by the BJP government to curb female infanticide, where women who turn 18 are given Rs.1 lakh to cover marriage expenses.
- BJP minister's death postpones Goa budget presentation - Mar 21, 2012
- Mining dumps in Goa the next Congress-BJP battleground? (With Image) - Sep 05, 2012
- Jayanthi Natarajan to arrive in Goa amidst mining controversy - Sep 05, 2012
- Congress takes potshots at caste rivalry in Goa BJP - Jan 30, 2012
- Goa mulls law barring politicians from sports bodies - Jul 27, 2012
- Goa's pro-women flagship scheme hits rough weather - Jul 26, 2012
- Parrikar inducts six new ministers in Goa - Apr 08, 2012
- Parrikar given clean chit in IFFI scam case - Feb 24, 2011
- BJP leaders should join Naxalites: Congress - Feb 16, 2012
- Ministry orders study on Goa's controversial mining - Aug 23, 2011
- Yeddyurappa should be jailed for corruption, says Congress leader - Jan 29, 2011
- Congress MP challenges Kamat's clean chit to BJP leader - May 11, 2010
- BJP manifesto promises Goa Lokayukta within 100 days - Feb 19, 2012
- Lokayukta to probe sensitive cases after appointment: Parrikar - Apr 30, 2012
- 'Dum Maaro Dum' producers, exhibitors are anti-national: Congress MP - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp government, blockbuster, chief minister, coalition government, cooperative institutions, female infanticide, gabbar singh, goa, grooms, lakh, laxmi, man operation, manohar parrikar, naik, rajya sabha, ramesh sippy, shantaram, sports bodies, work ethic