Congress mocks Trinamool desire to go it alone in 2014 pollsAugust 6th, 2012 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 6 (IANS) As the Trinamool Congress (TMC) leadership Monday said it wants to go solo in the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya welcomed the decision and said the party can fight it out alone in West Bengal.
TMC MP and Union Minister of State for Health Sudip Bandopadhyay Monday said in New Delhi that his party leadership wants to command all the 42 Lok Sabha seats in West Bengal.
When asked to comment about BJP leader L.K. Advani’s blog that the 2014 general elections may throw up a non-BJP and non-Congress prime minister, Bandopadhyay said, “It is Advaniji’s personal opinion. But we want to fight and command all the 42 Lok Sabha seats in Bengal in 2014.”
Bandopadhyay also said that Trinamool Congress supremo and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee tops the list of honest and talented politicians in the country.
“People want an honest, clean, hard working and talented person as prime minister. Mamata Banerjee tops the list,” he said.
Bandopadhyay’s comment has drawn sharp criticism from Bhattacharya, who has termed as absurd the TMC’s desire of commanding all the 42 seats in the state.
“If they want to go alone, they can. We don’t have any problem in fighting alone. If they feel that they can command all the 42 Lok Sabha seats in Bengal, then I must say they are living in a fool’s paradise,” Bhattacharya told IANS.
- Temporary problems with allies will be overcome: PM (Second Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Trinamool demands fare hike roll-back, hints at Congress hand (Third Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Mamata Banerjee: Timeline of an intrepid politician - May 20, 2011
- Bengal polls: Mamata reaches out to Congress (Lead) - Feb 20, 2011
- Trinamool, Congress seal seat-sharing deal for Bengal polls (Intro Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Will stay in Bengal ministry, we're not her subjects: Bengal Congress (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Trinamool MPs vote against government bill; Bansal calls Banerjee - May 07, 2012
- Unhappy with Trinamool, Congress mulls options in Bengal - Mar 19, 2011
- Congress seals pact with Trinamool for West Bengal assembly polls (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Mamata's administrative skills suspect: Jaitley (Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- If Congress wants, they can leave: Mamata (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Ups and downs of Trinamool-Congress relations - Sep 19, 2012
- Mamata moves to set up base in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 16, 2012
- Congress leader nominated as Trinamool's Rajya Sabha candidate - Jul 08, 2011
- Congress, Trinamool ties reach new low (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: bhattacharya, chief minister, congress president, general elections, l k advani, lok sabha polls, lok sabha seats, mamata banerjee, minister of state, mocks, party leadership, personal opinion, pradip, state congress, sudip, talented person, tmc, trinamool congress, union minister, west bengal