Congress misleading on Ambedkar memorial, Thackeray warns DalitsJanuary 2nd, 2012 - 11:44 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 2 (IANS) The Shiv Sena Monday asked Dalits not to get “misled” by the central government’s assurance that the Indu Mills land in south-central Mumbai would be allotted for a memorial for B.R. Ambedkar.
In a front-page statement in the party mouthpiece Saamna, party chief Bal Thackeray said it “was just another carrot dangled by the Congress” to secure Dalit votes in the forthcoming municipal elections.
“Our Dalit brothers should not get over-enthusiastic by the Congress’s assurance that the centre has agreed ‘in principle’ to allot the (12.5 acres) Indu Mills land for the memorial,” Thackeray said.
He pointed out that the Congress’s game lies in the words ‘in principle’ and it may or may not materialise since it is designed only to capture Dalit votes.
“With elections round the corner, the Congress has started doling out many such assurances as it is desperate for votes,” Thackeray said.
Recounting the assurances made by the government in the past few months, the aging leader said mill workers have been promised free homes, slum dweller have been promised regularisation of all slums that came up till 2000, Muslim reservations were announced recently and now the assurance of Indu Mills land.
Thackeray appealed to the Dalits not to get lured by the assurances and ensure the Shiv Sena-Bharatiya Janata Party-Republican Party of India alliance is voted to power.
The statement comes in the wake of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan’s meeting with Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Delhi last week on the Indu Mills land, which belongs to the centre.
After the meeting, Chavan announced the prime minister had agreed ‘in principle’ to give the mill land for the Ambedkar memorial.
The Indu Mill has been in the news since nearly a month after some Dalit activists ‘captured’ the land and vacated it last week following intervention by state Home Minister R.R. Patil.
- Ambedkar Jayanti celebrated; Dalits stage sit-in (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Chavan meets Sonia on Ambedkar memorial, Belgaum - Dec 30, 2011
- Land for Ambedkar memorial soon - Mar 30, 2012
- Dalit party threat to recapture Indu Mills land - Mar 06, 2012
- Chavan demands land for Ambedkar memorial - Dec 20, 2011
- Chavan to meet PM on Ambedkar memorial, boundary row - Dec 29, 2011
- Maharashtra to evict encroachers from mill (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Maharashtra Congress ties up with Dalit party - Jan 29, 2012
- Ambedkar memorial work to be speeded up, says PM - Aug 18, 2012
- RPI demands land for Ambedkar memorial, blocks highway - Dec 15, 2011
- Ambedkar memorial: Dalit activists attempt to storm legislature - Mar 15, 2012
- Politicians encouraging slums for vote banks: Raj Thackeray - Jun 07, 2012
- NCP wants Mumbai station named after Ambedkar - May 30, 2011
- Bal Thackeray roots for Mumbai again - May 07, 2012
- Chavan meets PM on Ambedkar memorial, farmers - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: assurances, bal thackeray, bharatiya janata party, central government, central mumbai, chief minister, congress president sonia gandhi, home minister, indu, manmohan, manmohan singh, mouthpiece, municipal elections, party chief, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, republican party, shiv sena, slum, slums