Congress legislator booked for holding unauthorised meetFebruary 12th, 2011 - 8:57 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Feb 12 (IANS) A police complaint was lodged against Madhya Congress Congress legislator Umar Singhar for holding a roadside party meeting in Dhar district Thursday where at least eight people died and 18 were injured after a truck ploughed into the crowd, officials said. The meeting was being held at Silkua village in Kukshi constituency, where bypolls will be held Feb 14 along with Sonkutch, when the truck ploughed into the gathering after its brakes failed.
“Restrictions under section 144 (of Criminal Procedure Code) was imposed in the entire constituency, so no meeting, rally or any political function could be held without permission. We have lodged an FIR under Section 188 of the Indian Penal Code against Umar Singhar,” Dhar’s Collector B.M. Sharma said Saturday.
The Kukshi constituency seat fell vacant after the death of the leader of opposition Jamuna Devi. Singhar’s cousin Nisha Singhar is the Congress candidate for the seat.
However, Singhar has alleged that the truck belonged to a Bharatiya Janata Party activist, and the incident was planned to disturb the meeting.
“After I got information about the FIR, I went to the police station to offer myself for arrest, but they said there was no need for it, and asked me to surrender in court. I went there too, but officials said no action has been initiated by police. They want to arrest me on poll day so that our candidate is adversely affected,” he said.
- Seven killed as truck ploughs into Congress meeting - Feb 11, 2011
- Dynasty rules in Madhya Pradesh by-polls - Jan 31, 2011
- BJP win both seats in Madhya Pradesh (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- BJP wins one seat in Madhya Pradesh by-polls - Feb 17, 2011
- FIR against Jharkhand speaker for poll violations - May 25, 2012
- Congress workers await leaders in by-polls campaign - Feb 08, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh bypoll turns prestige issue for Congress, BJP - Jun 24, 2011
- Agitation if cases against Congress leaders not withdrawn: Jaiswal - Nov 18, 2011
- BJP wins Jabera by-poll in Madhya Pradesh - Jun 29, 2011
- Police orders arrest of actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha - Jan 23, 2011
- Poll panel watching! Punjab goes low on ladoos, posters (Punjab Newsletter) - Jan 21, 2012
- Bihar Congress chief booked for poll code violation - Sep 13, 2010
- Kanda got clean chit in 2008 assault case - Aug 25, 2012
- Campaigning ends for Andhra by-elections - Jun 10, 2012
- BJP wins in Madhya Pradesh, Bihar by-polls (Second Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, brakes, congress candidate, constituency, cousin, criminal procedure code, crowd, dhar district, feb 14, fir, indian penal code, leader of opposition, legislator, nisha, party activist, police complaint, police station, poll, rally