Congress leaders fined by Himachal courtMarch 21st, 2009 - 6:43 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, March 21 (IANS) Seeking an adjournment and failing to produce witnesses in defamation suits cost three senior Congress leaders dear in a Himachal Pradesh court Saturday. The three are Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anand Sharma, former Punjab chief minister Amarinder Singh and Congress party treasurer Motilal Vora.
The suits against them were filed by Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal.
As the case against Sharma came up for hearing, Shimla Chief Judicial Magistrate Yashwant Chogal imposed costs of Rs.500 on the minister for seeking an adjournment.
Sharma had made allegations during the 2003 state assembly elections that Dhumal had assets beyond his known sources of income.
In another case, the same court imposed costs of Rs.200 on Amarinder Singh and Vora for their failure to bring witnesses to court.
Amarinder Singh and Vora had also accused Dhumal of having assets beyond his known sources of income.
- Himachal minister resigns amid assembly uproar (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Virbhadra ready for graft case trial in lower court - Aug 29, 2012
- Himachal tightens laws against corruption - Sep 02, 2011
- Badal withdraws defamation cases against Sonia, Amarinder - Oct 30, 2010
- Congress extended favours to Jaiprakash Associates: Dhumal - May 07, 2012
- Dhumal rejects health minister's resignation - Mar 13, 2012
- Dhumal meets PM as Army moves to resolve Annadale ground row (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Court allows Badal's plea to withdraw case against Amarinder - Oct 16, 2010
- I can't be forced to give DNA test sample: N.D. Tiwari (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Court fines Sheila Dikshit Rs.3,000 - Jan 06, 2012
- Centre ignored protests over cement plant in 2004: Dhumal - May 13, 2012
- Dhumal raises Annadale ground row; Army beats hasty retreat (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- BJP united, Congress divided ahead of polls (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Jul 28, 2012
- On average, five walkouts a year by Congress in Himachal - Aug 30, 2012
- Amarinder holidaying in Himachal with Pakistani friend - Jun 05, 2011
Tags: adjournment, allegations, assembly elections, assets, congress leaders, congress party, defamation suits, failure, foreign affairs, himachal pradesh, judicial magistrate, march 21, minister of state, motilal, punjab chief minister, rs 200, rs 500, state assembly